Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Denver just legalized marijuana!

I'm still eagerly anticipating the legalizing of crack. Now that will truly be a day to celebrate.

Swede
Old 11-02-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What it really boils down to, as with all laws, is what the cop-on-the-street is instructed to enforce.

The City Attorney can blow his horn all he likes, but if a cop doesn't write a ticket, he'll be golfing more then lawyering.

[/ QUOTE ]

The city cops will probably do nothing about arresting people for marijuana since the city pays them, but the major problem about them having state law to fall back on is that you will not see any Amsterdam-style coffee shops popping up.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:40 PM

With the well funded federal propaganda initiatives, it is amazing that over 54 percent of the residents of any county would vote like this. How is the war on drugs going now?
Old 11-02-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What it really boils down to, as with all laws, is what the cop-on-the-street is instructed to enforce.

The City Attorney can blow his horn all he likes, but if a cop doesn't write a ticket, he'll be golfing more then lawyering.

[/ QUOTE ]

The city cops will probably do nothing about arresting people for marijuana since the city pays them, but the major problem about them having state law to fall back on is that you will not see any Amsterdam-style coffee shops popping up.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this plays out the way things have in California, the DEA is the bigger concern. The feds are also the reason why there will be no such shops.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any link to the fine print of this, also what the difference between de-criminalized and "legal" is, is it for medical purposes only or what?

[/ QUOTE ]
"Legal" means you can do it in front of a cop and he won't do anything. In other words, there are no penalties for using.

"Decriminalized" means if you get caught with it, it's treated like a traffic offense. You get a ticket, the pot gets confiscated, but you don't get arrested and sentenced to jail time.

Interesting historical tidbit: When Jimmy Carter was president, he made some moves towards decriminalizing marijuana nationally. He made public statements saying it should be treated basically like a traffic offense. Then some government officials were caught by the press doing cocaine at a High Times party. The political embarrassment killed Carter's decriminalization initiative.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:27 PM

About time you inlanders got your act together, Oakland did this in 2004 Of course, we haven't heard a word about it since, or whether cops are really abiding by it.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting historical tidbit: When Jimmy Carter was president, he made some moves towards decriminalizing marijuana nationally. He made public statements saying it should be treated basically like a traffic offense. Then some government officials were caught by the press doing cocaine at a High Times party. The political embarrassment killed Carter's decriminalization initiative.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, but inaccurate.

The official in question was at a NORML Christmas party, and in addition to the obvious, was present when fellow revelers were partaking of cocaine. It was only alleged, and certainly not proven, that said official (Peter Bourne) actually partook of said substances. The scandal took about six months to "break," a curious delay that I would feel more comfortable analyzing in the Politics forum, except that its peopled by Terri-Schiavo impersonators. At the time, Peter Bourne was Special Assistant to the President for Health Issues, functionally his "Drug Czar." He was not head of the Office of National Drug Control Policy, the leadership of which is usually conferred the czardom today, because the Office did not yet exist. His curious official position reflected the ambivalence in the Carter adminstration towards the Special Action Office for Drug Abuse Prevention (SAODAP)created in 1971. That post dates to the Nixon presidency, a man who laid the groundwork that almost became federal decriminalization in 1978 (also the peak year for marijuana use in recorded American history).

Ahh, enough of that. That [censored] makes you stupid.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:17 PM

all drugs shouls be legalized in my opinion, I dont even use any drugs anymore, but I do not understand why they are not all legal. I think it would help.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ahh, enough of that. That [censored] makes you stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

i ain't no stupider than i was yesterday.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:42 PM

Go Broncos! [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]