Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Best approach to reading my books I have bought.

Hi all, I am a long time lurker on the board but this is one of my first posts.

Ok first off I would like to let you guys know what books I have and what books ive read.
I started off learning Hold'em back in march of this year. I really liked what I learned and got hooked. I decided to buy some books to get better. I mainly started playing No Limit online, but just got into Limit online and No limit in live play.

I started out by getting, Poker, the real deal by Phil Gordon as a gift and read it all, but didnt really care too much for it.

I then started to check out this site and bought Super System 1 and mainly read the holdem section which I really liked, but I do not really enjoy playing as agressive as Doyle explains to.

The next book I read was Harrington on Hold'em after I really started getting into tourney play.

Next I just bought recently, Getting Started in Hold'em just to refresh my self, but ended up skimming through the book quickly because everything was a little too "beginner" style for me and I already knew most of it. But I still read it.

Right now I am about 3/4 the way through Small Stakes Hold'em since I started liking playing limit holdem online and really like the book so far.

I also have The Theory of Poker sitting waiting for me to read it.

Now my question is, I am going to finish up SSHE and should I reread it like they recommend or should I go and read The Theory of Poker and come back and reference it to SSHE.

Also is there any other books you would recommend for a live no limit cash/tourney player, but mainly a online Limit player.

Sorry if this is confusing or makes no sense, but I do appreciate any help anyone can give me. I'm just a beginner...

I recently got into a bad downswing online so i told myself I would not play any online until i finished my books up and learned much more and became better. I also just purchased Poker Tracker and am trying to find my leaks...

Thanks Again
Zach
Old 10-20-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Best approach to reading my books I have bought.

I've heard great things about Yao's book, that's why I bought it. Haven't really started playing limit yet (sticking with SNGs for now), but I have SSHE, Weighing the Odds (by Yao), Super System 2, TOP and THAP all waiting for me once I decide to move in that area.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:36 PM

Thanks, Ive never checked out Yao's books, I'll have to look into them
Old 10-21-2005, 02:41 PM

YOU CANNOT GET BETTER BY READING A BOOK!!!! Ok now that I got that off my system. Playing lots and lots of hands and trying to read the board and your opponent is what gets you better. Since you are new I take it to poker I would suggest you read SSHE play lots and lots then reread it and you will see that you are going to get more out of it after about 1 or 2 months of just playing. Hold off on TOP after you have reread sshe and played lots and lots for 1 or 2 months. If you read it now you will surely misapply some of its concepts. Seriously there is no substitute for playing thats the only way you will get better.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:56 PM

I know there is no substitute for hands on playing, but the books give me more knowledge. I have been playing pretty regularly since August online. I played live weekly over the summer and Im not necessarily a "beginner" but i would consider my self one because I havent even been playing for 8 months yet. The books just give me the knowledge of odds and probability and all that good stuff...
Old 10-21-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
YOU CANNOT GET BETTER BY READING A BOOK!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply wrong.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:08 PM

i agree with you niediam
Old 10-21-2005, 05:08 PM

It's a combination of both. The books give the platform, and the playing gives the experience. It should be treated as a continuous cycle. Read-play-read-play.

I've had this debate before regarding the importance of books. Granted, there are a few "freaks of nature" that can become accomplished players with little use of them, but the majority of people (myself included) really needs them for a foundation.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:24 PM

I'm reading King Yao's book right now and I am enjoying it thoroughly. His DIPO method for determing whether to call or fold isn't as simple as knowing memorizin you're odds per outs.

I'd read and play a bit before re-reading SSHE. If you haven't got Poker Essays 1-3, and Inside the poker mind, I'd recommend those too. All 2+2 books. Ciaffone's NL & PL hold'em's gotten good reviews and it's on my list.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:43 AM

This is how I break in a new book...
First I read it once through....and then read it again highlighting everything that seems important.
Then I thoroughly reread one section at a time to ensure that I am absorbing the material....
Then I outline the book...making quick reference notes that I review once a week....then i read the book again every 3 or 4 months.
Sorry if this seems laborious...but then again i was a premed student...so I approached the book reading portion of my poker training in a strict academic way. It helps...but you need a lot of discipline to do it.

BTW...I am continually playing all the while...studying and playing at the same time like these other guys are saying is crucial...you can't learn to apply the strategies without logging in the hours..so to speak. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]