Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Is this bad against a megaLAG

I'd doubled up through this guy when he tried to steal, I reraised all in with JJ and he called with T5o (he just about had pot odds). He'd shown down a lot of other garbage too. Anyway his comments stung, but what does the SnG analyzer have to say about this? I put him on precisely any 2.

***** Hand History for Game 2687127664 *****
300/600 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL) (Tournament 15610888) - Sat Sep 10 10:14:29 EDT 2005
Table Table 11135 (Real Money) -- Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 1: Letmos (2600)
Seat 2: t33n3r (1275)
Seat 7: miamitrader (1740)
Seat 10: irem_mats (4385)
irem_mats posts small blind (150)
Letmos posts big blind (300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Letmos [ 7d, 7s ]
t33n3r folds.
miamitrader folds.
irem_mats raises (4235) to 4385
irem_mats is all-In.
Letmos calls (2300)
Letmos is all-In.
Creating Main Pot with $5200 with Letmos
Creating Side Pot 1 with $1785 with irem_mats
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Ks, Jc, 6c ]
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 3h ]
** Dealing River ** : [ 8c ]
** Summary **
Main Pot: 5200 | Side Pot 1: 1785
Board: [ Ks Jc 6c 3h 8c ]
Letmos balance 0, lost 2600 [ 7d 7s ] [ a pair of sevens -- Ks,Jc,8c,7d,7s ]
t33n3r balance 1275, didn't bet (folded)
miamitrader balance 1740, didn't bet (folded)
irem_mats balance 6985, bet 4385, collected 6985, net +2600 [ Js 8h ] [ two pairs, jacks and eights -- Ks,Js,Jc,8h,8c ]

irem_mats: man that a terrible call
irem_mats: really terrible
Old 09-12-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Is this bad against a megaLAG

a suggestion would be that if you're going to make posts like this you should buy the analyzer. the intention of selling licensed software is not that one person buys it and then other people just ask that person for results when they want it.

that said, if you put him on any two cards, and this is a $55, calling with 77 is:
+$7.55, moving your quity from folding ($95.06) to $102.62.

if you think he has to have one face card or a pair in his hand, you lose $.26 by calling.

if however you think he's both on any two, and totally incapable of having changed gears once he got caught and doubled you up, then sure whatever, win your 7 bucks, throw caution to the wind. do realize that 33% of the time or whatever you're going to bust out this hand though, which is going to increase your variance a lot.

sounds like you ran into what i like to call a "douchebag 2+2er." those who believe that once they have a stack they are entitled to push every hand, even if it's wrong, that they should never be called, ever, even if it is right for their opponents to do so, and that if they do get called they deserve to win every time, because any call that gets made against them is clearly a bad one, so the player should be punished...

citanul
Old 09-12-2005, 08:39 AM

I have been waiting for my fishy play to show up here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, calling with low pairs there is a bad move in my opinion. You are in a safe second place and could wait out ITM before making your moves.

And good description by Citanul. I can make that move with any cards, and I hate being called. And when someone calls me, I take for granted I will suck them out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2005, 08:50 AM

You shoulda folded. Why gamble when you can wait and play solid hands? I'd put him on overcards at least to 77, so it's really a coin-toss.

Is he in most hands, and does he play them aggressively?

If you find yourself in a game like that, hang back. See what happens. The options are:

1) He'll suck out the others, and build his stack, and knock some out. With this stack, you can then cut into it when you get good hands. He won't care you hardly play, he'll still go up against you. If you bust out, that's luck. But you play 77 against such a guy, you're tossing a coin. Wait for AA-TT, AK, AQs type hands. Or small pairs/Axs if late and the maniac's already acted, and you get in cheap.

2) He'll get himself busted out, but he'll have made the table pretty wild, with large stacks here, small stacks there. Small stacks (not too small) will be ripe for stealing.

I love having a wild player in a SNG, usually does enough to get me close to the money having only played 1-2 class hands in all.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:57 AM

You dont want me in your SNG.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:05 AM

This is an easy push with any two for the big stack. He is so happy that the second largest stack is to his left. If he is being a smart LAG (in other words, pushing any two into the big stacks, folding into the small stacks, etc.) then you are correct to call with the 77 here.

However, if you think that the LAG will push with all but the very worst hands, then this becomes an EV neutral play and you should probably fold.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You dont want me in your SNG.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, I'd quite like you in my SNG [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

At the very least, it's fun to watch a very aggressive player wreck the game for the careful, by-the-book players who start too frightened to act, then start acting stupid. I love guys like this in rebuys too, they crack me up, cos they rebuy and rebuy, and create chaos among the more careful players who start steaming!

Mostly, I like the different chip amounts that result when there's a player like yourself at the table. You like that too, I guess?

I'm not criticising megalags, I like em, so power to ya!
Old 09-12-2005, 09:29 AM

There is no better feeling than playing poker live megaLAG and really outplaying all those internet-kids who have read all the standard books and tries to play TAG.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no better feeling than playing poker live megaLAG and really outplaying all those internet-kids who have read all the standard books and tries to play TAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen - they just can't handle it. I don't do it myself till I get in the money, then it's amazingly effective for getting 1st, but I do enjoy being in a game and watching it - and megalags do surprisingly well from what I've seen.

I put it down to being a bit like Doyle Brunson's approach in SuperSystem. The steals build the stack, so when it goes to a face-off, all those steals are effectively a freeroll.

I'll be watching for you on the tables, bud [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You on Party? What SNG's are you playing?
Old 09-12-2005, 09:37 AM

Yeah playing on the Party network. Watch out for irem_mats and irem1234 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Currently doing the 50+5, guess ill soon move to 100+9 though. My BR is more than enough for the 200s but my girlfriend wont let me play for that much money.. LOL