Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 10:51 AM

Default New to Omaha hi

OK, not really new but I thought it was a good title.

I've played a bit before and I really like the game. I had a rough weekend at the NL holdem cash tables and so I "took a breather" from that and ventured into .5/1 omaha hi on Party.

These people don't know what the F they are doing. At all.
I guess b/c they showed the Omaha event on ESPN recently? I mean I 4-tabled for about 45 minutes and ended up about +$12. Kinda rare to 4-table a game that you haven't mastered yet- and leave a winner. lol.

Anyway, I'm trying to grasp some of the basic principles of the game, the following are some of the (very rudimentary) principles that I'm learning. Let me know if I'm missing stuff and if I'm wrong on anything.

1) You cannot make a flush without at least 2 suited cards in your starting hand.
2) If the board isn't paired, nobody has a full-house (duh!)
3) AhAcAd9s is an automatic fold PF.
4) XXXX is an automatic fold PF.
5) Double-suited adds strength to your hand.
6) AhXhAcXc (double-suited with ace-high + TP = monster. Auto-raise PF no matter how many opponents?
7) KQJT is very strong, worthy of PF raise, due to nut straight strength.
8) Being double-paired is strong but not too strong ex: 8844.
9) Flopping three pairs is a monster. If all your outs to a boat (6 of them) are clean, you should hit by the river over 25% of the time, and therefore, against three opponents or more is worthy of a bet/raise.
10) Play hands like 5h6c8h9s for straight value, not flush value (necessarily) Your flush cards (5&8) are low, and against multiple opponents, may not be good a lot of the time. Your straight here is probably worth more than your flush.

That's all I can think of right now...what did I miss?

Basically the biggest mistake I saw was 7-8 people seeing a flop. They don't know how to identify a crap holding PF.

Too many limpers. Nobobdy knows when to raise. Even on flop, nobody knows when to raise. Someone bets and everyone calls.

I flopped the nut flush draw last night against like 4 opponents and I bet out and they just called all the way down. I turned it. Like a $16 pot (on an unpaired board).

They give you RIDICULOUS odds to draw to. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Let me know what I missed!
Old 09-12-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: New to Omaha hi

[ QUOTE ]
1) You cannot make a flush without at least 2 suited cards in your starting hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct.

[ QUOTE ]
2) If the board isn't paired, nobody has a full-house (duh!)

[/ QUOTE ]
Duh is also correct.

[ QUOTE ]
3) AhAcAd9s is an automatic fold PF..

[/ QUOTE ]
Auto-fold unless you are playing very LAGgy in position.

[ QUOTE ]
4) XXXX is an automatic fold PF.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure what this is referencing. Four random cards? There are situations in which I'll play almost any four cards.

[ QUOTE ]
5) Double-suited adds strength to your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Always.
[ QUOTE ]
6) AhXhAcXc (double-suited with ace-high + TP = monster. Auto-raise PF no matter how many opponents?

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends on your playstyle, positions, and opponents. It's a very pretty hand that can hit a lot of flops but you can still flop almost dead with it. Raising out of positions against aggressive/tricky players is almost always a mistake in PLO.

[ QUOTE ]
7) KQJT is very strong, worthy of PF raise, due to nut straight strength.

[/ QUOTE ]
Broadway straights are sucker hands in PLO. Without at least one suite, I have no problem ditching these hands preflop.
[ QUOTE ]
8) Being double-paired is strong but not too strong ex: 8844.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you can't fold middle set, you shouldn't play these hands. If you have good reads and info on your opponents, fire away. I almost always play these kinds of hands for a raise in LP.

[ QUOTE ]
9) Flopping three pairs is a monster. If all your outs to a boat (6 of them) are clean, you should hit by the river over 25% of the time, and therefore, against three opponents or more is worthy of a bet/raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Enh. If someone has a made straight/flush you're a decent underdog. If someone has a set, you're either drawing dead or a *huge* underdog. There are times when I'll play three pair hands fast, but it is certainly not a monster.

[ QUOTE ]
10) Play hands like 5h6c8h9s for straight value, not flush value (necessarily) Your flush cards (5&8) are low, and against multiple opponents, may not be good a lot of the time. Your straight here is probably worth more than your flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your flush draw is garbage, but it can give you additional outs against a made hand. You might flop the nut straight with a flush redraw and get it all in against the same straight with no redraws, in which case you're freerolling. Or you might flop a big straight/flush draw against a set and be able to knock better flush draws out.

[ QUOTE ]
Basically the biggest mistake I saw was 7-8 people seeing a flop. They don't know how to identify a crap holding PF.

[/ QUOTE ]
Big pet peeve here. Hand values in Omaha have little relation to the same in HE. You could raise with a big AAxx double suited hand preflop and there are lots of four card junk hands that are going to be less than 3:2 underdogs to your 'monster'. Omaha is a post flop game. There are lots of times when it is correct to reraise preflop and check-fold the flop. 80% of the pots are win are from people overplaying AAxx, but 60% of the money I win is with AAxx.

[ QUOTE ]
Too many limpers. Nobobdy knows when to raise. Even on flop, nobody knows when to raise. Someone bets and everyone calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's Party PLO for ya.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: New to Omaha hi

by "XXXX" I meant 4-of-a-kind. Sorry!

Thanks for all the input. BTW, I was playing limit .5/1, full-ring not PL.

You mentioned if you flop 3 pairs, someone may have a straight, this is true, however this means there is less probability that they have your out cards.

Unless of course:

You: 598
Villain: 6759
Flop: 598

Ouch, now you only have 2 winning outs. (88)

Thanks for the response!