Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Kanter? woopdeedoooo!

Prior to watching the ESPN coverage of the 2005 WSOP I was wondering what all the hype was about this Kanter guy. Now that I have seen most of the coverage (yes, I know they only show a tiny fraction of the hands played.. blah blah) I'm wondering even more.

Can you say "suck out king"? Sure you can. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The industry just seems too eager to find the next exploitable, barely-legal personality, to attract more college kids to the game.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Kanter? woopdeedoooo!

Suckout king for sure. Atrocious.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:50 AM

I agree. Him calling off all his chips just on a draw against Raymer was ridiculous. And yes, to win the WSOP, you need to get lucky, but its usually when you walk into an overpair or something like that, not calling off your chips with way the worst of it.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:09 AM

Actually there was nothing terrible with Kanter's call. I believe Greg bet something like 300K on the Turn and Kanter raised to 900K before Greg went all-in. I can't find the exact stack sizes but at that point he was correct in calling for the flush draw.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:46 AM

the way he called was just a donkish play. he insta called really just on a draw he didnt even have time to see how much Raymer was actually raising. this coupled with all the other suck outs and bad beats we saw him give tells me he wasnt playing very good poker he was just the luckiest POS alive.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:09 AM

Well like I said I haven't seen the guy's play but in this hand I really don't see anything wrong with his call. He had 3.8 million after winning so we can say he had about 1.7 before the hand. He'd already put in about 300K before the turn so after putting in another 900K there's no way he can fold.

Also he didn't need to see how much Raymer raised. Since Greg had him covered any raise would put him all-in. Although since his raise committed him to calling he should probably have pushed the turn anyways.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:29 AM

IIRC, Kanter also made the most ludicrous push at the final table against a pot-committed Tex Barch when he had to know he was drawing thin (top pair, no kicker on something like the third reraise). In retrospect, that move probably cost him the championship, and rightly so.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:16 AM

this has been discussed so much already

his call of raymer's all-in is close - definitely borderline either way but probably +EV

however, his raise of raymer on the turn is terrible and he deserved to be out
Old 11-11-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the way he called was just a donkish play. he insta called really just on a draw he didnt even have time to see how much Raymer was actually raising. this coupled with all the other suck outs and bad beats we saw him give tells me he wasnt playing very good poker he was just the luckiest POS alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

It put him all-in, he knew how much he had left.

He thought raymer was weak and made a play for the pot and caught lucky, it happens all the time in poker.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:10 PM

My new word for river brutality is Kanter.

Ex: Wow, you got Kantered

Although I'm still a fan of "Bodogged".