Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 09:00 AM

Default Re: 30/60 yearly income

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
EV (for the year) on cash game players is 7 figures. 5-25 in the whole online community is not a big number, but then again, who am I to come up with that number?

I know in my games I would guess 2-10 guys can do it, and I'm pulling a number out of thin air for the rest - the top 1-2 MTT players, the top 2-8 NL ring game players, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Are you saying there are only 5-25 online players that make 100K or more a year from online poker?

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe 7 figures equates to 1 million +
Old 08-20-2005, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
EV (for the year) on cash game players is 7 figures. 5-25 in the whole online community is not a big number, but then again, who am I to come up with that number?

I know in my games I would guess 2-10 guys can do it, and I'm pulling a number out of thin air for the rest - the top 1-2 MTT players, the top 2-8 NL ring game players, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Are you saying there are only 5-25 online players that make 100K or more a year from online poker?

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe 7 figures equates to 1 million +

[/ QUOTE ]

man its early. and I drank too much last night.

-Scott
Old 08-20-2005, 10:42 AM

At what point does it become impossible to multitable and win. I'm 4 tabling 1/2 right now and basically play ABC vs the fish, but from what I've seen watching the higher games (5/10 and up)I really couldnt see myself able to win at these tables by just playing ABC. Are the players at these levels really that bad? Dont you need to start getting more table reads? My goal is to 8 table 2/4, but is it really possible to go higher than this? How do you people do it? 30/60, that just sounds crazy!
Old 08-20-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At what point does it become impossible to multitable and win. I'm 4 tabling 1/2 right now and basically play ABC vs the fish, but from what I've seen watching the higher games (5/10 and up)I really couldnt see myself able to win at these tables by just playing ABC. Are the players at these levels really that bad? Dont you need to start getting more table reads? My goal is to 8 table 2/4, but is it really possible to go higher than this? How do you people do it? 30/60, that just sounds crazy!

[/ QUOTE ]

enon can quote me on this. we were talking a while back when we first met online about multi tabling. i said i played 2 15/30s and he said he played 4. i was like OMG how can you do that its impossible.

a while later and it was me playing 4 30/60 tables. i got me another account and tried 5. then 6. then i found a way to fit 6 tables on 1 dell 24" monitor. i STILL DONT HAVE ME NEW EFFING COMPUTER WORKING, but 6 on the dell and 2 on the laptop screen works until then.

its not impossible, it just seems it b/c its not in the realm of what you're used to.

to me, what bk does seems impossible. 8 tabling SHORT games?? eff that, id go nuts...but then again, hed tell a similar story of how that happened.

its just 1 step at a time.

-Barron
Old 08-20-2005, 03:54 PM

Alot of it too is balancing the money and the enjoyment factor and KEEPING it enjoyable (especially if you're going to count of this for years to come). Personally I generally just play 4 games of 30-60 and some 20-40 or 15-30 games mixed in a few hours a day. Could I do more and earn more money? Very possibly. I just like balance the earn factor and enjoyment. I can chat, watch TV, read email, 2+2, etc while playing. And with so much time not playing, I can spend time with my wife and kids, golf, etc. All this and have it not be stressful at all. I'm sure some can possibly play more tables and do all the above too without being too crazy. (It would be nice to be 25 again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) Thats great. But if I wanted to be crazy I'd have just kept my old job.

If one can make a GREAT living at 4 tables or be a bit more stressed out and possibly make ENORMOUS money at 6+ tables or so, which is for you? Its just a personal prefernce. At this stage of my life I'll take the relaxing one with great money. At one point years back I'm certain I would have gone with the latter.

-ActionBob
Old 08-20-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

a while later and it was me playing 4 30/60 tables. i got me another account and tried 5. then 6. then i found a way to fit 6 tables on 1 dell 24" monitor. i STILL DONT HAVE ME NEW EFFING COMPUTER WORKING, but 6 on the dell and 2 on the laptop screen works until then.

its not impossible, it just seems it b/c its not in the realm of what you're used to.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not that I dont believe people cannot play resonably well. I expect there are people that can play without making any errors. But I would assume at 8 tables you are playing a weak tight game, and the good players playing less tables would catch on and destroy you.

For example when you get check raised on the turn holding a marginal hand. These decisions are probably the hardest in poker. While playing a single table to can pay attention to the frequency at which players are check raising, and might decide someone is check raise bluffing too much so you look them up. At 8 tables I would imagine all check raises look the same.

People make a big deal about "playing the player" at the higher levels. Is this just not true? Can perfect technical play overcome whatever you are giving up not having reads?

(And just to clear this up, I am talking about someone who makes no stupid mistakes like misclicks, and can keep up with the action)
Old 08-20-2005, 10:07 PM

if you play 8 tables you will misclick and time out. overall these errors are small in comparison to the additional hands you get to play.

as to your question about optimal play and getting c'red on the turn with a marginal hand...or playing a weak tight game, i think its a matter of making accurate decisions quickly.

when you get c'rd ont eh turn what do you do? you look at the board. the stats for the player. the hand played up to that point and the position and relative position of the participants in the hand. if the decision for me turns out to be extremely close in my mind i'll usually err towards calling late in the hand and folding early in the hand. on the turn if i have showdown value and a lot of draws out there HU then its probably a call. if its multiway and teh check raiser is likely to have a better hand (this includes when i have fairly strong hands like top pair) and he c'rs a field then my cards usually hit the muck.

i say "likely" and "usually" b/c there are always exceptions. but once you get in the habit of quickly analyzing situations then you can get more hands in and fewer hours spent in front 8 tables.

-Barron
Old 08-21-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you play 8 tables you will misclick and time out.

[/ QUOTE ]

i 12 table and i rarely misclick or time out. MAYBE once per day. and thats a maybe. holla