Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-18-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Cold calling preflop maniacs

When there's a person at the table who preflop raises like 40% I feel a little unsecure on what hands I can call and reraise his raises with. So here's a few questions on the subject.

If I'm first to act after the preflop maniac has raised, should I reraise almost all hands? if so when should I not?

If there's a loose caller in it how should this affect my play?

If I'm OTB first to act after the preflop maniac has raised what hands can I play.

How does the blinds style affect my play?

Is there another thread on this?
Old 12-18-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Cold calling preflop maniacs

Find a new table, I hate playing with those idiots.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:15 PM

I did that very thing last night. After a few orbits and his continual raising on my right preflop… I let him have it! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 03:28 PM

First of all, keep playing your good game against a preflop maniac. You must be a maniac with cards, not bets. Don't "reraise almost all hands," but also don't leave the table; you'll eventually take money from him because he's playing wrong. Fold most of the time. Watch every showdown and take notes. What is he raising with? When you do have a hand that you'd normally play anyway and which is better than 50% or more of the hands he's raising, reraise to isolate.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:33 PM

If you can outplay him postflop my answers go like this.

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm first to act after the preflop maniac has raised, should I reraise almost all hands? if so when should I not?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the table will let you isolate:
Yes I would say only play hands you can reraise him with but this range is wide when he raises that much. Mine is something like 88+, A9s+ (sometimes A8s), ATo+, KJo+, and any suited cards higher then ten.

If the table will not let you isolate: (many will call 3 cold)
play pretty much the same hands you would against any other raiser. Coldcall with a few more suited hands then you normally would since the table will not respect his raises and give you good multi-way action, but try and keep it to hands with high card strength as well.

[ QUOTE ]
If there's a loose caller in it how should this affect my play?

[/ QUOTE ]
I usually go to standard coldcalling range if isolation is imposible.

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm OTB first to act after the preflop maniac has raised what hands can I play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Only hands you can 3bet (see my range above). **Do not give the blinds good odds to come along.

[ QUOTE ]
How does the blinds style affect my play?

[/ QUOTE ]
I assume you mean "if the blinds will come along anyways, how does this affect my play". If so keep to the basic coldcalling/3beting range that you would against a normal raiser. Maybe add a few that are suited and high cards.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there another thread on this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Umm maybe [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

If you can't outplay him postflop I say get away from that table.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A word of warning. Playing back at these guys drives variance through the roof, do so at your own risk and if you can handle the swings. You can make a ton of money playing these guys well, but if they're on a streak or your on tilt you can loose a stack quickly too.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:05 PM

It takes a long time to get the maniacs money but you will eventually get it with your good play. I mean you get something like trips and he is going to cap it on every street. Trust me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. It's just boring to sit there folding hands. And then it is really frustrating if the maniac just leaves the table when you have been waiting to strike back at him. Well [censored] happens you know [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] just play good.