Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-09-2005, 05:18 PM

Default NL500 (semi deep): Top set on monochrome flop

Live $500 NL
Blinds are 5/10
5 Handed

Stacks:
Button $1283
Hero $4600

Button is a tricky LAG who will call any raise I make with just about any two cards. Earlier I stacked him when he called my AQ preflop raise with Q2o and went all in on a Q83 flop.

Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop: Hero raises to $50 (standard open), CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Pot: $110

Hero bets $100, Button raises to $250, Hero raises to $550, Button calls

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] (2 players)
Pot: $1210

Hero checks, Button bets $400, Hero calls

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] (2 players)
Pot: $2010

Hero checks, Button bets $283 (all-in), Hero calls
Old 12-09-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: NL500 (semi deep): Top set on monochrome flop

Is this at HP? If it's capped and you have 9 buy-ins, nice job.

Old 12-09-2005, 05:23 PM

I dont quite understand the flop. What is your thought process in reraising him here on a monotone flop?
The turn is another misplayed street. Why are you cold calling 400 here? Either push here or fold to that bet. This whole post looks like chip spewing to me....
Old 12-09-2005, 05:25 PM

Push the flop or keep the pot small.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:33 PM

Push the flop.

Barring that, check-raise the turn all-in. I say this because if you push the turn, he's probably folding any hand he has without a spade. If you check, you induce him to bluff (although I'm almost positive you're beat), and then he's committed to call your c/r with or without a better hand. Plus you have the outs to boat. If he checks the turn behind, then you can check/call a reasonable bet on the river.

Check/calling the turn is SO WEAK here. But seriously, just push the flop.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont quite understand the flop. What is your thought process in reraising him here on a monotone flop?
The turn is another misplayed street. Why are you cold calling 400 here? Either push here or fold to that bet. This whole post looks like chip spewing to me....

[/ QUOTE ]

An additional note on the Button: I consider him to be a very loose Super System thinking type player. He might think about his pot odds, but he does not consider the pot odds he is giving, nor his (or other's) implied and reverse implied odds.

As for the flop, I agree that it was a mess which is why I posted the hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I did not know how I should be managing the pot, nor the best line to take against this opponent with my hand. So I bet the pot looking to see what he would do. If he called, then there was a strong possibility that he had flopped a flush or maybe two pair or a set (he'd slow play these or be a little fearful of the flush). If he raises, then I know he is on the flush draw.

A week ago, the button and I played a hand very similar to this where he flopped bottom pair with the nut flush draw against my cowboys and he went all in on the flop. The stacks were much smaller ($800 each), but his actions on this hand were completely in line with how he played that hand.

That's why I donk re-raised $300 more. I think that I should have bet the max $500 and if we get it all, then at least I am in with the best hand.

edit: I thought $300 might be enough for him to come over the top again.

I thought about folding to the semi-bluff, but I think would have been the worst option given I have a draw to a full hosue and this opponent will pay me off. Calling was viable to try to manage the pot size, but I put him on the draw and wanted to make it expensive for him to see the turn.

On the turn, I called the $400 because I know my opponent will put in the rest of his chips on the river regardless of the card and his remaining stack gave me the implied odds I needed to call. Had he bet more, I would have folded.

On the river, I talked myself into calling because I did not know if I could handle folding my hand and being shown a worse one in such a big pot.

btw - The max bet is $500 (state law).
Old 12-09-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check/calling the turn is SO WEAK here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am confused. If I think he has the flush and he lays me the correct odds to call, then isn't raising a mistake because the extra money will be going into the pot when I am behind after he has allowed me to make a profitable call?
Old 12-09-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check/calling the turn is SO WEAK here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am confused. If I think he has the flush and he lays me the correct odds to call, then isn't raising a mistake because the extra money will be going into the pot when I am behind after he has allowed me to make a profitable call?

[/ QUOTE ]

check-calling the turn is fine. he could only have the flush or air. there's no way a worse hand is calling a check-raise. where you misplayed your hand was the flop. pushing wouldve been best but i guess you couldn't push b/c of the 500 dollar state law... so you shouldve just called the raise and kept the pot small on the flop. bad re-raise to 550.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:54 PM

he has 283 after betting the turn ....you think hes betting 400 with air w/ the intention of folding to a check-raise?
Old 12-09-2005, 08:30 PM

Check/fold flop

[ QUOTE ]
Live $500 NL
Blinds are 5/10
5 Handed

Stacks:
Button $1283
Hero $4600

Button is a tricky LAG who will call any raise I make with just about any two cards. Earlier I stacked him when he called my AQ preflop raise with Q2o and went all in on a Q83 flop.

Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop: Hero raises to $50 (standard open), CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Pot: $110

Hero bets $100, Button raises to $250, Hero raises to $550, Button calls

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] (2 players)
Pot: $1210

Hero checks, Button bets $400, Hero calls

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] (2 players)
Pot: $2010

Hero checks, Button bets $283 (all-in), Hero calls

[/ QUOTE ]