Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-23-2005, 12:22 PM

Default 5/10 rule with tight opponents

I have been thinking about the applicability of the 5/10 rule lately. The rule basically says:
If you are holding a smallish pocket pair, the implied odds makes it worth calling a raise for less than 5% of your stack to see the flop. A raise larger than 10% of your stack is not worth calling and anything between is a judgement call.

Ok. This works perfectly against donks, but against tight/cautious opponents you are seldom going to get their stack when you hit your trips, killing your implied odds.

What I wonder is this; When playing against tight/cautious opponents do you still follow the 5/10 rule? In that case, are you able to make up for your smaller implied odds by stealing more pots when you have missed?

Another question for this situation: When you play against a careful guy that does not pay off your trips, even if he has a decent overpair, do you ever try to represent trips to take the pot away, even if you think he is holding an overpair? I don't, but maybe I'm giving up some value. If you can't get the guy to pay off your genuine hands, you should bluff him, right?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: 5/10 rule with tight opponents

Against tight opponents, I think that modifying the 5/10 rule to make it more of a 4/8 rule can be helpful.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against tight opponents, I think that modifying the 5/10 rule to make it more of a 4/8 rule can be helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, that sounds good
Old 12-23-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you play against a careful guy that does not pay off your trips, even if he has a decent overpair, do you ever try to represent trips to take the pot away, even if you think he is holding an overpair?

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer is obvious, but it takes balls to actually do it.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When you play against a careful guy that does not pay off your trips, even if he has a decent overpair, do you ever try to represent trips to take the pot away, even if you think he is holding an overpair?

[/ QUOTE ]

And enough of a read to know that he is a thinking player and will actually be able to release the overpair for the fear of a set.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-23-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, that sounds good

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that does sound reasonable. I think I will do that against opponents that seem to be tight and good players. Against weak-tight players I think you should be able to steal the pot after the flop enough to make up for the lost implied odds. Thx for the advice.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And enough of a read to know that he is a thinking player and will actually be able to release the overpair for the fear of a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. You do need balls for this (or boobs if you're a female player I guess...). You also need to have a very good read on the guy you are playing. Often enough you have a lot of hands played/datamined against a guy and can tell he is a rock. That is probably not enough though. He needs to have played a lot of hands against you and know that YOU are a rather tight player as well. If that is true, you should have a good spot for a big bluff.

The next question is how much to bet. Do you have to bet until you've pushed in the entire stack? Probably not. Whatever bet he should interpret as you are willing to go all-in will suffice. Depends on the player I guess, but about 1/3 of your stack should be enough. If he wants to raise that, he will have to go all-in and he can't expect to see the showdown for free.

Hmmm. Must try this some time. I focus too much on getting money from the bad LAGs and make life too easy for the tight players. Guess I will post a hand with results sometime later [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] .
Old 12-23-2005, 03:22 PM

When you represent the set are you CR his flop bet and then leading the turn or trying to CR him on the turn?
Old 12-23-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you represent the set are you CR his flop bet and then leading the turn or trying to CR him on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would most often lead the flop with a set, so when I'm trying to represent a set against a thinking player I guess I would lead the flop.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:28 PM

You lead the flop with a set so he will raise with his overpair and then you can push in (or get it in on the turn when hes committed).

It works for that exact fact that people will raise with their overpair. Most people dont lead with a set. if they did, people wouldnt raise their overpair.

So if you lead without a set, forcing him to raise, how are you going to take the pot away from him? hes goinfg to call your all in with his overpair, remember?