Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: POKER VS STOCKS

[ QUOTE ]
Most importantly, don't listen to anyone who tells you it's easy to make money in the stock market. It's not. It takes a long time and requires lots of hard work, patience and discipline.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is "easy" to "make money in the stock market", by simply buying index funds!!!

It is also "easy" to beat the indexes, as long as you are willing to put in the "time, hard work, patience and discipline." (and a few other skills)
Old 11-21-2005, 01:24 PM

Active Trading is not for everyone... but if you are patient, trade with the odds in your favor, win more on your winners than you lose on your losers (risk mgmt), and take advantage of enough opportunities, it can be very profitable.

The same as taking advantage of +EV situations in poker!
Old 11-21-2005, 08:00 PM

wow havnt looked at this thread in a while and i see that it has grown. i will reread it in a bit but let me ask couple of questions. and clarify some things.

1. yes im obviously talking about a 5 figure bankroll.

i am thinking about investing about 5k to start with in the stock market. currently i multitable 400nl. i am making around 5k monthly. what kind of bankroll will i need to invest in the market to reciprocate the winnings i am making in poker. i jus want to have an idea of what kinds of returns is possible (someone mentioned 10%). and how much i would have to risk.

for the 10% return as someone stated is good. i want to clarify some things. if i invest 5k.. does that mean i can expect a 500$ return on the year? thats very small. please clarify how this works.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:56 AM

well if your doing normal invest in mutual funds then avg return based on historical performance is around 10%, if you actively invest and you become good at it, it is obviously much higher.