Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: POKER VS STOCKS

Old 11-18-2005, 12:20 AM

TGTL resistance was 5, I was close to buying some 5-5.05 but this is a thinly trading stock and has wild swings also it had bottomed @ 4.25 and wasn't sure if bounce players would sell on way up killing the break. The reward would have been great at a 2k profit.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

TGTL resistance was 5, I was close to buying some 5-5.05 but this is a thinly trading stock and has wild swings also it had bottomed @ 4.25 and wasn't sure if bounce players would sell on way up killing the break. The reward would have been great at a 2k profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

why don't we see technical analysis bilionaires?
Cause it takes like 30 years of compouded interest to reach that number... and technical guys have a few good years and then underperform the market.

if you show me some multi bilionaire technical analisys investors who are beating the market over 30 years, please tell me so.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you show me some multi bilionaire technical analisys investors who are beating the market over 30 years, please tell me so.

[/ QUOTE ]

If YOU can't live on a million a year, I can't help you!!
Old 11-18-2005, 10:10 AM

http://www.iasg.com/SnapshotPT.asp?ID=67

Campbell & Company makes trading decisions for each of its portfolios largely pursuant to two distinct proprietary trading models, both of which combine computerized technical trend following with quantitative portfolio management analysis

now what was it that you were saying?
Old 11-18-2005, 10:52 AM

blah out -.03 avg
Old 11-21-2005, 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And in the long run only the very lucky or those with insider information beat index by much IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I suggest you take a look at the performance records on marketocracy, for a simple example of many with the demonstrated skill to beat the "baseline" market averages (like the Dow or S&P).

Just like in poker, if you are willing to put in the time to learn "how to do it"... it is "easy".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you sound like a pokerplayer who has been on a lucky run for 10.000 hands and is convinced he can beat the game for 8BB/100 even though people say its impossible in the long run. Compare stocks to poker where it takes 50-100.000 hands+ before you even get close to your actual winrate - how many people have even done 50.000 stock transaction in their life???
If that is a valid comparison maybe the average stocktrader never gets even close to the long run meaning luck is the most important factor.
Myself I will stick to longterm stock investments and hope for 7-10% gain per year average. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 07:14 AM

Is 7-10% after inflation?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:41 AM

ok a couple questions

1) for a total beginner to the market (ie. i don't even really know what short means) where should they start? the only thing i have remotely close to stock trading is the book 'Liar's Poker'

2) what is the min. "bankroll" one needs to make trading worthwhile. can you build a "bankroll" starting with say 1k, or is that very impractical?

3) in doing research and analysis, how much graph reading is required? i'm not a big fan of graphs. i like numbers and all that, i just don't like graphs

thanks
Old 11-21-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok a couple questions

1) for a total beginner to the market (ie. i don't even really know what short means) where should they start? the only thing i have remotely close to stock trading is the book 'Liar's Poker'

2) what is the min. "bankroll" one needs to make trading worthwhile. can you build a "bankroll" starting with say 1k, or is that very impractical?

3) in doing research and analysis, how much graph reading is required? i'm not a big fan of graphs. i like numbers and all that, i just don't like graphs

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Starting reading up on the subject. William O'Neal's "How to Make Money in Stocks" is a pretty good beginner's book.

2. I believe 5K is a good starting bankroll. In the beginning, you don't want to invest too much, even if you have the money, as you will go through learning period which requires paying "tuition."

3. As far a graph reading, I find charts invaluable, as I use ratio to market as a major determining factor for the stocks I buy. In other words, I look for stocks that are rising at a rate greater than that of the market as a whole.

Most importantly, don't listen to anyone who tells you it's easy to make money in the stock market. It's not. It takes a long time and requires lots of hard work, patience and discipline. Remember, what you are trying to do is take money from the best money makers in the world.

Good luck