Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 12:35 PM

Default Re: My losing streak surpasses Jay!

I know people always say there are plenty of fish but I've definitely noticed improved (more correctly less bad play) than in months past. I'm finding less and less people on buddy list are active etc. I think the increase of good players and the decrease in bad players really changes things.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:30 PM

Hearing this from a strong player makes me feel better because I'm on a 200 BB downswing playing 15-30 while making money playing 10-20 6 max. Have you been multi-tabling both sh and full games simultaneously? I have and I am beginning to think it's a bad idea. I find that my full table play tends to be adversely affected - I overplay hands, don't give my opponents enough credit, and call hands down too much.

I tried to start a thread on multi-tabling different games but didn't get any response in the internet forum.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:37 PM

Do you think even with the volume of hands you get at 10/20 and all around bad play that 15/30 is more profitable?

What I'm getting at is you make a killing at 10/20 so why sweat 15/30? If it's not about the money and instead a personal goal I can understand that.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:51 PM

I have no doubt that you're a winner at 10/20, but based on what I've seen of your play at 15/30 (granted, I only have 46 hands on you), my feeling is that you're overaggressive and you take hands too far. I'm guessing that both of those traits are a result of playing 6-max, where people try to run you over with all sorts of crap.

Here's a sample hand to show what I mean. A rock (VP$IP 8.53, PFR 2.33) raises UTG+1. It's folded to you in the BB, and you reraise with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. The rock caps, and you call. At this point, the only possible hands he could have are AA/KK/QQ/JJ/AK. In fact, he may not even cap with JJ and AKo. The flop is

4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

You should be done with this hand right here. You are beat with probability one. Yet you mysteriously call down to the river. At showdown, the board is

4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

and you lose to AA, as expected. I don't know what else to say about this hand. If there are a lot more hands like that (again, I only have 46 hands on you), you need to re-evaluate your play.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:55 PM

Default Re: My worst short term run

[ QUOTE ]
( And I'm a 4+BB/100Hands long term winner. After 800 more hands, I ended the night down -$1500. Not too bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Presumably that means 200k + hands, congratulations if so as thats a good feat.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:20 PM

No, just 100k+ hands. So we need 200k+ hands to be qualified as 'long term'? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2004, 06:11 PM

Not really, we need more than a million in reality. 200k is just my number of hands to define a decent enough period.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd estimate at least 50BB of that to bad play by me, maybe more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made that statement with a few hands in mind, the TT one you described being one of them. Another one was a KJ hand I played extremely awful (in case any one else happened to observe it).

Basically, since I remember that specific hand without having to look it up: On other tables I was getting beated to death by people actually trying to run me off hands, then hitting their 2-5 outers, and I took some tilt into this TT hand. FWIW I remember having no notes on this guy. Also, FWIW, tilt is a very very very minor factor in this losing streak. I'll admit when I tilt. This TT hand was one of them. There were a few others. Not many though. I have plenty of humility and am willing to admit if I'm wrong about something, but tilt/bad play have not been the overriding factors in this losing streak.

Not that you or anyone else would care or have reason to take his word for it, but, I quote 2+2er I_am_B; who although rarely posts and is probably unknown to most of you, said the following about me in a post:

[ QUOTE ]
The control he has over his emotions is a model for any aspiring pro

[/ QUOTE ]

He's seen me play plenty, and has played plenty against me at Canterbury.

[ QUOTE ]
take hands too far

[/ QUOTE ]
I've felt this way about my play during my whole running bad stretch (live and online), particularly to river or turn raises, but I also feel like if I fold every time to these signs of aggression I'm going to showdown about 10-15% of the time, total (perhaps a sign of getting turned/rivered a lot, or me having this sick desire to calldown just to say "not again"). Basically, lately I feel like I'm always paying off when I should be folding, yet I feel like if I'm not making these payoffs then I'm never going to showdown. I guess it's a catch-22 I need to figure out for myself after I have time to redevote once finals are over.

I'm sure you're right that I have holes to plug but I'm sure I'm right in saying that a vast, vast majority of the losing streak has been from bad luck and that that TT hand is not indicative of my overall post flop game.

Thanks for the feedback though Nightwish, I do appreciate it.