Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 05:42 PM

Default Re: My losing streak surpasses Jay!

[ QUOTE ]
Between when I played 15 fulls this summer, and my second try the past few days, I'm up to -$13,000, or, 433BB downfall.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really big loose streak. What is your variance for this game? My highest streak at 15/30 was 150BB (70K hands played). Of course as i plan to keep playing im prepared for 200+BB loose streaks... But 433... hmm. My highest loose streak ever happens was at 15/30SH and it was around 250BB. I had a variance of 21.5BB/100 there. 15/30 full looks more simple for me, so i suspect 400+ streaks are too high.

I'm pretty sure with high probability you're missing some clue for these games. The one thing i find for these game is to trust people more than in SH-tables, maybe you pushing too much?
Old 12-06-2004, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Regarding starting hands, Bicyclekick can sort of affirm my aggression is not really out of whack. I'm sure it needs tuning, and I'm sure there are spots I can save bets or lay down more. Furthermore, before I played 6max I played oodles of full table hands and I usually do alright in Canterbury's full table 30/60 games. I don't really think I am too clueless about the differences in full table vs short table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I looked over his stats and actually they are very close to mine including aggression levels. Now I know he could be betting/raising in different spots to get these levels, but when we talk about poker we're generally on the same page.

[ QUOTE ]

The final thing I know is that there've been many other 10/20 6maxers who've played the 6max game with virtually the identical playing style as me, and since moved onto 15/30 and done exceptionally well, practically from the get-go...such as Nate, James, Peter_Rus, Stoxtrader or Gonores. It just seems so unlikely that these players who had 6max styles so similar to me can all just jump into 15/30 and do well, and I go in and implode. James told me long ago that he feels the 6max games helped out so many aspects of his full table game in 15/30.

[/ QUOTE ]

This paragraph is very important, I think.

[ QUOTE ]

Moreover, I haven't been playing these games completely blind, either... BK sent me his PT notes.txt file when I retried the 15's a few days ago and I've generally been sitting in good tables with plenty of action players.

[/ QUOTE ]
I should have a new notes file either tonight or tomorrow for you.

[ QUOTE ]

So yeah, as it is right now, I'm willing to concede my game probably needs some overhaul and I'm fully taking blame for my losing streak in 15/30, but I'm also somewhat confident a lot of my losses have not been too avoidable.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little thurough critical examination, perhaps, but not an overhaul.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway for now I'm back to playing 10/20 6max until I get a winning streak going and have more confidence again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally understandable.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:44 PM

Default My worst short term run

Last night, I lost $3,000 within my first 320 hands while 3-tabling party 10/20 6max. That's -47BB/100Hands. Anyone can beat this? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] And I'm a 4+BB/100Hands long term winner. After 800 more hands, I ended the night down -$1500. Not too bad.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:54 PM

Default Re: My worst short term run

4bb/100 long time better be at least 75k hands.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:02 PM

For the last 4 months, 87,117 hands, 4.34BB/100Hands.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:15 AM

Best of luck to you, Schneids. As a person of far less skill than you or anyone posting this thread, I have little constructive to say besides one stab at it -- which is that even four tables might be too much if you're not a proven winner even at one table yet. I can't help thinking that if you are making some mistakes, you are putting them on auto-pilot and quadrupling them, and that adds up very quickly.

I can't see how multi-tabling, especially four tables and up, is a good way to start off a new level; and to continue to do so even when losing a substantial amount ... I don't know. Maybe you're just having bad luck and want to get into the long run sooner, and maybe by playing more tables you will. But the reverse side to that is that if that assumption is wrong, and you're doing some wrong things and not seeing it...the only long run you're going to get into is something like a 433 BB losing streak.

It just seems the chance of catching mistakes has got to go down if your attention is spread thin. Right now, your game hasn't earned the right, at this particular level, to be spread over multiple tables.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:02 PM

You may have already done this, but the bankroll formula shows that if you have a SD of 16 BB, you could be a $41 per hour winner and still have a losing streak of about 430 BB. A higher SD of 18 BB would make $52 per hour possible. 14 BB SD produces $31 per hour.

I'm not sure of the frequency of max losses, but they must be very rare, maybe 2 or 3 in a lifetime?
Old 12-08-2004, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Between when I played 15 fulls this summer, and my second try the past few days, I'm up to -$13,000, or, 433BB downfall.

[/ QUOTE ]

A real eye-opener. I wonder how many "pros" would still be pros had they caught one streak like this at the beginning.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:55 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I've started to mine 24 tables around the clock of 15/30 to play with some numbers and to see the types of swings that players go through. I'm pretty sure I know who you are based on your post, because I remember thinking to myself, "wow that guy has damn good preflop numbers but he's getting absolutely destroyed." it makes me wonder why I want to play in that game so badly. maybe it was because of guys like the one that dropped 6k last night.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:10 AM

Schneids, Check your email.

Peace,
Joe Tall