Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 09-20-2005, 09:41 AM

Default How much of a difference does being suited make HU?

Disagreement on IRC.

TAG UTG raises. Do you call with KTs in the BB? Do you call with KTo? Is there much of a difference?

TAG button raises. Is there much of a difference between 76s or 76o?

Are there any hands you would defend with from the BB against a button raise, that are suited, that you wouldn't defend with if they were unsuited?

Does an UTG raise make being suited more important than a button raise?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: How much of a difference does being suited make HU?

Enough of a difference that AJs has better equity against a random hand than AKo. Does that answer your question?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:39 AM

When UTG raise and u defend in BB its not really a HU-match like when SB raises and u are sitting in BB. UTG normally got a great hand so u will normally be well paid when u hit your flush. Against SB raise a small pair will be enough more often. That said, against UTGraise its important to not be dominated. I prefer T9o instead of K5s. But against a stealraise I would think K5s works just as well, if not better (I will win unimproved more often).

I would defend against UTG raise with Axs but not below A7o if he got normal standards (say PFR 16%). I would defend with 54s but probably not 76o (well...).
Old 09-20-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would defend against UTG raise with Axs but not below A7o if he got normal standards (say PFR 16%). I would defend with 54s but probably not 76o (well...).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand the 54s defense from an UTG raise. Don't you want about 5-1 for you possibility to flop a flush draw or OPESD. you could pair a four or five, but that is not really all that desireable. What's your thoughts on this?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:18 AM

I think pairing a 4 or 5 isn't all that bad since utg will most likely show down his big aces. Not that it will be easy to play, but it does add some extra value to your hand which is connected and suited.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:25 AM

Ofcourse there is, you will make a flush more often, but maybe more important, will flop a draw you can play hard and maybe take it down unimproved, which would make suitedness more important vs later raises than early ones as itīs easier to bluff successfully I think.

There are tons of hands I defend suited that I fold offsuit against button opens.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand the 54s defense from an UTG raise. Don't you want about 5-1 for you possibility to flop a flush draw or OPESD. you could pair a four or five, but that is not really all that desireable. What's your thoughts on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can be more confident that a low flop misses an UTG raise and so I think it is often quite desirable fo flop a pair of 4's or 5's. I defend with any two suited against a raise from any position and the worst offsuit hands after over 200K hands appear to be worth almost exactly the same as folding--no better and no worse. The offsuit indifference point appears to be around "any two 9 or higher", although I vary my criteria on these more according to the position of the raiser than I do the suited hands. (I may fold JT to an UTG raise but call T8 versus a button raise).

Cartman
Old 09-20-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can be more confident that a low flop misses an UTG raise and so I think it is often quite desirable fo flop a pair of 4's or 5's.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true, and this is a good scenario... usually. however, sometimes you will be up against a pp. you will also get draw out on somtimes with your weak made hand.

you will also pair some scary flops, which you will have you not collect very much when you win and you make some questionable payoffs/ folds.

just some considerations when playing a weakhand.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much of a difference does being suited make HU?

[/ QUOTE ]

A little bit. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

It's a feel thing. You're probably better off giving examples of 76o vs 74s or KTo vs K8s, btw.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:19 PM

As Trix said. Its not so much the hot & cold percentages that makes a suited hand more valuable HU, but the extra semi-bluff opportunities.

And I think being suited is more valuable vs. a button raise since you're more likely to successfully semi-bluff a button raiser.