Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-28-2005, 12:08 PM

Default $55: Overpair on paired board facing an All-in

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP2 (t770)
MP3 (t1000)
HERO (t975)
Button (t960)
SB (t2170)
BB (t900)
UTG (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1000)
MP1 (t1225)

Preflop: HERO is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
2 folds</font>, MP1 raises to t30</font>, 1 fold</font>, MP3 calls t30, HERO calls t30, 2 folds</font>, BB calls t15.

Flop: (t127.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP1 folds, MP3 All-in, HERO ? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

No Reads.

What would you do, and why?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: $55: Overpair on paired board facing an All-in

I don't play this high, but I think I'd lean toward folding without any reads. I don't know if AA-QQ is a major possibility, but A3s or hands like that could've seen the flop here. As tough as it would be to lay it down (why would MP3 push with a strong hand like A3s or AA?), I'd fold.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:19 PM

Why no reraise preflop?

That's a really bizarre push from MP3. The only thing that makes close to any sense to me is that he's begging for an overpair call. I reluctantly fold.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:36 PM

This sucks. What makes this really difficult is you not only have to figure out your equity against MP3's range from a bizarre bet, you have to account for the fact that either of the two guys who checked the flop may have you crushed as well.

I fold out of confusion. But damn this feels like 55-TT a lot.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:45 PM

I insta-call and expect to see 77-TT almost everytime.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I insta-call and expect to see 77-TT almost everytime.

[/ QUOTE ]

77-TT among other things including A4 and 65o. Yeah, you're ahead here 75% of the time unless I know this guy is capable of overbetting trips. I'm more concerned with the two blokes behind you due to relative position, but you really can't put them on a 3 or overpair; I'd call.

To me the more interesting question is whether or not to reraise TT-JJ here; on one hand you've got position and don't want to invite a minraising donk to come over the top w/AK and push you off your hand. But all too often the minraise is any two broadway/low-mid pair and you're just letting the blinds come in cheap and pair an overcard.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:04 PM

This does seem very A4ish.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:04 PM

With no reads...fold. Any of the guys behind you could easily be trying to check raise their set of threes. Not counting the 2 to act behind you, this guy has a 3 or set of 4s often enough to scare me out of the pot.

You're likely to be way ahead, but its not likely enough that you're not way behind. Its way too early to take this kind of risk. Hope my double negative made sense.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:43 PM

my only concern is that the pfr has QQ+, but you're way ahead of the pusher like 95%+. villain never does that with a 3 and very rarely with QQ+, and he usually reraises QQ+ preflop anyway. i think this is a pretty clear call. if pfr has QQ+, that's a bummer.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:44 PM

you're playing for set value, right? You didn't hit yoru set, my relative position sux-- fold

i prefer to take control of this hand preflop w/ a rerraise 100-125ish, go broke on this flop.