Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: A question for Christians AND atheists

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I grew up with a Roman Catholic mother and an atheist father. I minored in religion in college

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, me too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we just found our two compatible candidates for Lestat’s brain transplant experiment. Are you two willing to give it a go for the sake a science ( and Religion for that matter)?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be too small of a sample size to be conclusive. I ask that you volunteer yourself as well, with your choice of compatible brain donor from either a field cricket, a watermelon, or BigSoonerFan.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:48 PM

I was born an atheist.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was born an atheist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 12-09-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I grew up with a Roman Catholic mother and an atheist father. I minored in religion in college

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we just found our two compatible candidates for Lestat’s brain transplant experiment. Are you two willing to give it a go for the sake a science ( and Religion for that matter)?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be too small of a sample size to be conclusive. I ask that you volunteer yourself as well, with your choice of compatible brain donor from either a field cricket, a watermelon, or BigSoonerFan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was just a joke. No need to get nasty. But since we are in the mud now, I must agree with you when you said:

[ QUOTE ]
It would be too small of a sample…

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-09-2005, 01:04 PM

Try harder.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was born an atheist.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved this post when I first read it, "Aren't we all?" I smiled and nodded.
It was short lived :-( because research from both neuroscience and psychology seems to lean to hierarchical social animals having evolved 'easy reception', at the least, to the concept of "Meta -alphas".
In a simple sense, if you belong to a species that has a social structure that depends on hierarchy it's one of the paradigms you're dealt, and you'll see many situations in terms of hierarchy. So it's an easy build.
Sigh, at a basic level we may be less atheistic at birth than it may appear. No wonder it's a tough position to arrive at.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:11 PM

The truth is I have no memory of ever having believed in God. From the time I was sentient I have been an atheist. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it........
Old 12-09-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I felt the same about it as I had about the tooth fairy and santa.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went through the same process at the same age. When I grew old enough to think I realized how silly the comparison is between God and Santa.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:16 PM

Luckyme,

Do you really think that if there was no religion, no one to teach you there was a God that anyone born today would start believing in God? I am talking about now, after science has explained so many of the 'unexplained' phenomena of the past.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The truth is I have no memory of ever having believed in God.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually took your post to mean that the first time around, but I chuckled because I think we all are born atheists, most just don't stay that way. I skimmed over some suggestions around why most don't, or at least why most are easily swayed to meta-alpha views.

A friend of mine has a vegetarian son, he's been that way almost since he could say "no", and it doesn't seem to be an allergy or any physical aversion. The family is a very meat-and-potato type. I don't think we'll ever know 'why' because by the time he's 15 or so he'll have built a whole house around the 'why' rather than have access to that initial toddler reaction.

I mention that because it sounds like atheism was very natural/easy for you ?? For me, and others that have posted, it was quite an interesting route. I'm not equating it with my li'l natural vegetarian ( which is also usually a result of a 'route' of some kind). I'm sure he'll have ample and coherent 'reasons' by 15 but it won't be the reasons that he had at 2. I find it interesting because I think there are people that are born with a personality/psyhological makeup that will make certain religious positions almost irresistable for them. I could name names :-)

Most of us seem somewhere inbetween and while relgion seems easy to adopt as youngsters we go through some 'trial' period and then take our path. I think psychological issues are a major part of the choices but it's complex regardless.

I'd be interested in why you found it so easy, or did you? You only noted that you never believed in god but was there a time it ever seemed 'conceivable' to you?