Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Where did I go wrong with this AQ?

How do you guys play this? Should I have raised preflop? Should I have dropped it after his minraise? Villian (CO) in this hand had been playing a lot of hands. On the river I pushed all in and he called.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

UTG (t205)
UTG+1 (t730)
MP1 (t685)
MP2 (t855)
CO (t1965)
Button (t1445)
SB (t1385)
Hero (t730)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls t30, Button calls t30, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t120) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t80</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t160</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls t80.

Turn: (t440) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t125</font>, Hero calls t125.

River: (t690) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t690
Old 08-10-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Where did I go wrong with this AQ?

Everyone says check flop, and I have to agree. Out of the blinds, it makes this hand much easier to play.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:44 PM

do you just check call this down then?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you just check call this down then?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, that's one line. Check-raising works and firing turn works, though you could be losing a lot of chips. You could always check-call to river, and fire a value bet on the end. Depends on the spot.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:54 PM

Well the way I did play the flop do you think my turn and river moves are alright?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:10 PM

I always raise here preflop. It makes it easier for you to see when youre behind. Had you raised preflop and then been raised on the flop, it would definately be a fold. This is a tricky hand..

Somehow I don't like the river push. I think if you check you can get a bet from a worse hand, whereas your push will more likely be called by hands that beat you.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:25 PM

I tend to check call moderate bets on the flop, and then bet the turn. If raised I'll fold. Checking in the blind is fine.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always raise here preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This leaves you in a very awkward spot when you miss. I think raising preflop is a huge mistake. Your line in the hand is decent, although not the only way to play it. I think leading the river is a mistake though. I'd check call it, since this guy is firing small with what could be a weaker two pair, but also a set.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This leaves you in a very awkward spot when you miss. I think raising preflop is a huge mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, you don't always have to see the flop that way. Second, sometimes you see the flop with position and heads up, whis is nice. Third, it's not awkward when you miss, you can usually just check/fold. Fourth, not raising puts you in an awkward situation if you hit.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This leaves you in a very awkward spot when you miss. I think raising preflop is a huge mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, you don't always have to see the flop that way. Second, sometimes you see the flop with position and heads up, whis is nice. Third, it's not awkward when you miss, you can usually just check/fold. Fourth, not raising puts you in an awkward situation if you hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your first point is your most valid one as it would be your desired scenario, but I don't think it happens all that often unless your raise is fairly large (see point 3 for the problems with this). Your second one happens very rarely so its not a huge factor. Your third point is flawed because this happens alot and if you have to check fold whenever this happens you've just pissed away a decent portion of your stack. Your fourth point is just not true if you can play it properly. In fact your hand is nicely disguised to pick up a lot of chips from worse aces and such. I think the pros of taking a cheap flop outweigh those of trying to muscle the pot, and I'd be surprised if most experience posters didn't agree.