Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Small stack - Is this the correct play?

I have 1100 chips. Blinds are 50/100. UTG limps (typically). Folded to me with 2 players left to act behind me plus the SB and BB. I have A9 and push. Is this the correct play here or do I fold and wait for a better hand?
Old 11-03-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Small stack - Is this the correct play?

1) I don't like pushing when I have > 8xBB at early points of tournaments where a lot of donks may still be playing and I don't have a premium hand. (I'm making an assumption on the tournament you're in here and the fact that blinds are 50/100 would typically indicate there may still be some donks that love to call all ins and gamble)

2) If I go out of a tournament, I don't want to do it on a hand as weak as A9.

3) You're risking 1100 chips (but even moreso, your tournament life) for 250 chips when I think you could really risk less and get the same result. (ie. 3xBB raise)

So, I'd say depending on the blinds aggressiveness or willingness to call raises/defend their blinds: perhaps calling if you really want to play the hand, raising 2.5 - 3 times the BB if you think you can steal the money already committed, or even folding because A9 isn't that great of a hand with 4 more people to act preflop.

You've got a LOT of time before you need to get this desperate IMO.

T