Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 12:39 AM

Default A big problem with my game...Please help!

I have a bizarre problem with my tournament game and I was wondering if anyone has gone through something like this and how they dealt with it. Over the past few months, I feel like I have gotten really good at picking my spots when bluffing and I have developed a decent intution for when I way ahead and when I am way behind. However, in spots where somebody shows aggression postflop after I have shown aggression preflop (and missed) or when someone raises me at any point in the hand, I seem unable to get away from the hand even though everything is screaming that I'm beat. I usually take 5-10 seconds to make a decision, figure that I'm beat and then, to make things worse, I don't just call their raises, I usually go all-in and get insta-called. I have resorted to making two signs that say "Careful!" and I've hung them over my monitor but I don't know if that is going to be enough. I am not sure why I am doing this but I think it has something to do with showing them I can't be pushed around, even when it is absolutely illogical to do so. Has anyone experienced a problem like this and if so, how have you dealt with it?
Old 11-02-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Re: A big problem with my game...Please help!

heh, I just got done with a limit session in which I was doing the exact same thing. I try to tell myself that they aren't doing it because they think they can push me off my hand, but because they like their hand. The days that I am successful in telling myslef this, I do well. The days I am not, I do not. Just keep reminding yourself that 80% of the time people bet and raise because they like their hand. They've given some thought to what you have, and they think they have you beat. Hell, even bluffers generally ask you to fold ace-high. It is all about discipline. For me, it can be a day-to-day thing.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:53 AM

I have the same problem sometimes.. Sometimes I get this mindset of "I raised preflop so it is MY pot"

sometimes planning out what you are going to do beforehand helps.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:28 AM

i tell myself 'its ok to fold, do not try to force things that aren't there.'