Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 02:39 PM

Default Hand 3

He has 3 or 4k now, I have him covered. New dealer came over just about to switch and I'd have to pay time again and my friends are waiting to go out so this is my last hand of the night. ATs, I raise I make a standard raise to $60. First question is, general preflop strategy, how is this for a raise size? He's been calling me often with this raise size, I like to play a lot of pots post flop rather than raising to $80 and playing less pots. He hasn't reraised me preflop once. I feel I can outplay him post flop especially with position, so raise size good? I raised to $60 almost everytime, didn't vary the size.

He calls, flop is A44o, he checks I bet $100. Good chance I'd check behind here with a medium ace since, what could he have to pay me off with? Also I bet $100 on purpose to look suspicious, $70 or $80 is a more reasonable bet here because again, what could he have to call with? He raises me to $300. Okay good, I call.

Turn is 3c putting 2 clubs out there. He bets $500. Good thinking Danny, awesome plan. I think for a few minutes and call planning on deciding on the river since I"m unsure of where I'm at now.

River is 9o. He bets $1300. Then I think another few minutes, maybe my plan of calling the turn wasn't the greatest because his river bet still doesn't define his hand as well as it should in my head. But I think about it some more and decide that the odds are very low he is 3 barrel bluffing. Besides having a 4, he coul dhave a better ace, or Ax that hit for two pair. I fold. Comments?
Old 11-24-2004, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Hand 3

He probably has you pegged on an ace and knows you will have a hard time releasing your hand. That's probably why he cr'ed you on the flop instead of waiting to pull the trigger on the turn. The turn is a definite fold in this situation. I think the better way to play this would've been to re-raise to $650-800 on the flop. If he calls that, most likely he has AT beat. What would you have done on the turn if a T hit? At that point you can beat any ace and it would've been a helluva lot harder to release your hand.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:17 PM

interesting hand

[ QUOTE ]
I think the better way to play this would've been to re-raise to $650-800 on the flop. If he calls that, most likely he has AT beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats no good. bruiser wanted to entice a play-back with the flop bet, so reraising for info to see what villians raise means cant be the best option. if he thought the villian wouldnt play back enough with a worse hand, enough for flat calling the flop bet to be the best option, he wouldnt have chosen the 100 bet size in the first place.

however, i am not sure what his best line should have been. i have 3 thoughts on the matter, and they seem to conflict. first, i think the fold is good on the river for the reasons you (bruiser) mentioned. second, i think folding the turn would be counter productive, as when you made that flop bet, you were hoping for his excact flop and turn line. however, i think it sucks to have to call the turn and then fold the river. thoughts? can you choose a line where you attempt to induce a play-back on the flop, yet plan to fold the river if he leads both the turn and river near pot size?
Old 11-24-2004, 03:44 PM

I'm not sure of the general concensus, but personally I like the biggest pots I win in HU NL to come from trapping hands against tricky, aggressive opponents. I'm also not sure how big a pot you guys wanna play with a 10 kicker for that matter. The two outcomes that are going to happen the most often with only top pair HU: you're going to win a small pot when your opponent realizes you were slowplaying on the flop and folds.....or you're going to lose a big one when you get trapped by an opponent with a bigger kicker or with trips. Even if bruiser isn't beat, this just isn't a spot where you wanna get a lot of money in on the turn. The pot is so big on the river that you can easily get bluffed when a blank comes off and your opponent decides to lead at you. Either make your opponent fold on the flop or dump the hand on the turn when facing a big bet.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:03 PM

interesting post vector, after making my post i began to consider if my line was flawed from the start. i think the chances are relatively low with this opponent that he'll do much bluffing against me on here.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:14 PM

I don't like it. I mean I like the fold I just don't like the way you played the whole hand. The time to make a descion was on the turn. If you felt you had him beat then you should've planned on calling a river bet as well.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:35 PM

Is folding to the flop checkraise out of the question?
Old 11-24-2004, 06:51 PM

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Is folding to the flop checkraise out of the question?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-24-2004, 07:00 PM

I agree with vector. If you are going to call a large turn bet, I'd prefer to reraise the flop a decent amount and see what he does. As it played, I'd let it go on the turn.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:48 PM

why?

[ QUOTE ]
He probably has you pegged on an ace and knows you will have a hard time releasing your hand. That's probably why he cr'ed you on the flop instead of waiting to pull the trigger on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am assuming from this statement you are implying that he has something that BEATS ace,10 (which i agree with). If that is your read based on the flop C/R, Why is calling another 200$ correct? Although I believe you mentioned raising him back on the flop which I think is another option. I definately dont like the call of the C/R though. I think he has 3 outs or is way ahead. I agree that the turn is a clear fold.