Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 03:50 AM

Default Re: I Didn\'t Study For This Test, I\'m Cool

In college there are alot of courses with no required homework, but I remember the grades in highschool being highly dependent on homework.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:57 AM

In college there are alot of courses with no required homework, but I remember the grades in highschool being highly dependent on homework.

You mean you remember your grades in your highschool being highly dependant on homework.

GoT
Old 01-26-2005, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You mean you remember your grades in your highschool being highly dependant on homework.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, some classes in HS had lots of homework and some essentially had none, this shouldn't be new to anyone.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I mean I remember the syllabus usually had homework consisting of 20% or more of the final grade.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:21 AM

No, I mean I remember the syllabus usually had homework consisting of 20% or more of the final grade.

Ah yes, now I understand your point. You reading comprehension much?

GoT
Old 01-26-2005, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, now I understand your point. You reading comprehension much?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

There was ambiguity.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The only time I would ever talk about this was to annoy people who spend every goddamn minute of their lives worrying about getting into a name brand college, meeting a teacher, worrying some more, and thinking about how good a college they could get into so they could name drop it. There were kids who got tutored for the SATS twice a week, I let them know that I got what they got without studying

[/ QUOTE ]

I can respect that.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

"Haha, some classes in HS had lots of homework and some essentially had none, this shouldn't be new to anyone. "

What are you talking about GoT and TSC? If you are saying that your grades in high school were not dependant on homework you are either lying or the exception to the rule. The only class I can think of right now that didn't require homework was my math class where if you got an A- or better on the last test you didn't need to do any hw until the next test. There is absolutely no way that most classes in most HS's in this country don't base a big percent of the grade on HW.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Snakerat see, how is it possible for you not to pay attention or do any work and get a B? You weren't born knowing the material for the class so WHERE THE [censored] DID YOU LEARN IT?

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned most of what is required knowledge in highschool through day to day life outside of a class or homework situation.

Examples: Watching TV, reading books, conversations with friends/family. A little discovery channel plus history channel went a long way for me.

This plus naturally sharp logic and writing skills = 3.0 with no effort. I used up the maximum allowed absences every semester, and the rest of the time sat in class daydreaming about sports, videogames, and pussy all day.

Now I am in college studying Organic Chemistry, and my non-existant study habits have been forced to improve. Sadly Sesame Street didn't discuss nuclear magnetic resonance.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:01 PM

The only refutation I can offer is that sometimes people have already learned certain material on their own several years earlier, so when they actually take a class they already know the stuff.

No, I didn't do math homework. No, I didn't pay attention in class. Yes, I had already taught myself the stuff years earlier. Yes, I never got less than an A.

So you're right, nobody can do well in school without knowing anything, but when they learn it much earlier than they were "expected" to, they end up not doing anything and still getting A's in that particular class. And I -did- get a B in high school. Second semester AP US History. I should have done more of the reading than I did (see, I did do some of it).

~D