Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Is this Common?

So far, my only experience with Poker has been online at PS where the amount of the pot is always readily available.

This weekend I went to Foxwoods and played the $2/4 for a few hours and I did not count a single pot! The pots were either: small, medium or big, but I could not tell you precisely how many bets were in any given pot, or if I was getting the mathematically correct odds to call. It either felt right or it didn't, I lost the ability or desire to count.

On the upside I knew who was in any given pot and after a few orbits I had a good general sense of who I was up against. In fact, I would bet my life on my ability to read some the other players.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Is this Common?

Counting the pot is one of the most difficult things to do in a live game...Especially if you are accustomed to online where the pot amount is displayed for you. I've found that the best way to get better at this is forget the amount that is on the screen online. Try and follow the action and count in terms of bets (small bets/big bets) put into the pot. After some time, it really does become second nature so that if you are paying attention in a live game, you should know at all times what kind of odds the pot is laying you.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:54 PM

Not that the OP multitables, but I'm positive that multitablers don't count the pot online. Most people would find counting the pot to become easy fairly quickly if they only play 1 table and focus.

I recently dropped to 2 tables max and I don't think I'll ever play more now. The amount of improvement in my game and the ability to learn from this FAR outweighs just getting in more hands for me.

You learn nothing playing 4+ tables on autopilot.

Counting it live just requires paying attention to doing it.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, I would bet my life on my ability to read some the other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay, another thing to put in my "Worst...Ideas...Ever" file, right next to wearing cat-fur underwear to the Pit Bull Show.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yay, another thing to put in my "Worst...Ideas...Ever" file, right next to wearing cat-fur underwear to the Pit Bull Show.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said you wouldn't bring that up again. It's not my fault, you didn't tell me we would be going to the Pit Bull Show for our first date.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:45 PM

Each street, count the number of players in the pot and multiply it by the number of bets that street.

Reassess each street, And remember to divide the total in half on the turn, as the small bets are now big bets.

For example, 4 people see the flop, and it was raised preflop (2 bets). That's 8 bets going into the flop. You can choose to ignore the small blind because you have to subtract the rake anyway.

On the flop, 3 people call a single bet. That is now 3 bets plus 8 bets preflop. 11 small bets total.

Going into the turn, you have 5.5 big bets. And so on.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:00 PM

Old 12-19-2005, 10:00 PM

rofl i hate common
Old 12-19-2005, 10:37 PM

I find the exact opposite to be true for me. I don't know if it's getting bored not winning pots and trying to force it or what, but I find that more often that not if I play 4 tables I'll end up being up on at least 2 of them, and often all 4 by playing autopilot, whereas 2-tabling and trying harder tends to lose me more, not sure why.

[ QUOTE ]
Not that the OP multitables, but I'm positive that multitablers don't count the pot online. Most people would find counting the pot to become easy fairly quickly if they only play 1 table and focus.

I recently dropped to 2 tables max and I don't think I'll ever play more now. The amount of improvement in my game and the ability to learn from this FAR outweighs just getting in more hands for me.

You learn nothing playing 4+ tables on autopilot.

Counting it live just requires paying attention to doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-19-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find that more often that not if I play 4 tables I'll end up being up on at least 2 of them, and often all 4 by playing autopilot, whereas 2-tabling and trying harder tends to lose me more, not sure why.

[/ QUOTE ]
probably because you think because it has happened a few times that it is the way it will always be, because obviously this isn't true.