Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Question about chopping

[ QUOTE ]
2 - Chopping the blinds - If it gets folded around to the blinds many players like to 'chop' which is just pulling back your own blind and NOT playing the hand out. You are not supposed to look at your hole-cards and then decide whether or not you want to chop based on what you have. You either chop with that opponent or you don't.
I've seen some internet-players look at their hole-cards and decide that they don't want to chop for that specific hand because they are holding AA. This is a horrible breach of the etiquette and you will not be looked upon favorably. It is NOT a good idea to do this. You are allowed to 'not chop'. But if you are a 'non-chopper' then you are ALWAYS a non-chopper even when you get 72o. You don't get to pick and choose based on your hole-cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding this, I never wait to look at my cards, so it's impossible for me to not know them when it comes around to my turn. I'm assuming this etiquette isn't going so far as to say that as BB I *should* wait to look at my cards just for the sake of the chop.

So, given that, if the SB is the one asking if i want to chop, then is it wrong if I say no because I know I have AA, and then, on a later hand, when he asks me again, say yes because i have 27o? According to the quote above if it's polite to either always chop or never chop then the assumption would be the SB can simply not bother asking and if they want to ask and I agree, isn't everyone happy?

I just fail to see what harm there is in both looking at their blinds and deciding if they want to split it or not based on that. I can't see myself taking offense at a BB or SB ever saying 'no thanks' sometimes and 'ok' other times. Sounds touchy, but then I am not a B&M regular, so I'd welcome your opinions on this.