Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 12:44 AM

Default pokerstars $10 bubble hand

What was the correct play here after villian raised me? Should I reraise big to see where I am at in the hand or should I push in? My thoughts were that he raised me on a flush draw and wanted a free card or that he limped with AJ, KJ or a small pocket pair. Thoughts?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) converter

Button (t2486)
SB (t3435)
Hero (t3268)
UTG (t4311)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t150, Button calls t150, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t600) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t600</font>, Button folds, SB folds,
Old 05-04-2005, 01:02 AM

Default Re: pokerstars $10 bubble hand

Do you have any reads on him?

I normally insta-push here. The min-raise can be a bit scary (did he hit his set?), but the range of hands that he's willing to raise with includes those you're far ahead of.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:19 AM

Yeah, push it easy. Seems more like QJ, KJ, AJ here.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:30 AM

Reraising big is not a good option. The reason is that any substantial reraise you make short of pushing is going to have to involve putting about half of your remaining stack in, at which point you're going to play the hand to the bitter end anyway. So if you're going to raise, push.

Folding is not something you should be doing here, in my opinion. The other possibility is to call the raise and check to him on the turn, and get all of the money in then. This is a route worth considering if you think that he's not likely to pay you off with JT, TT type holdings if you push right now. However, I think there are some cards you don't want to see on the turn that might make this plan scary or actually less effective at getting his money, so I don't like this plan much.

Push over the raise.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:57 AM

He had been limping a lot utg with lots of different hands and would almost always call a raise preflop once he limped. Sometimes he would have good cards, other times not. He limped utg with aces and AKs earlier which is why I thought he may have limped with two broadways or a pocket pair.