Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 06:38 PM

Default A Simple Question With No Simple Answer

I’m posting this in both No-Limit forums.

After finishing a pretty substantial bonus run which involved doing almost the entire Bonus Whoring 101, (except for cryptological.) I got to thinking of where I want to go in poker. Whether or not it’s just a hobby, or if it is something I can consider doing professionally (in the short-term). The bonus whore run swelled my bankroll substantially to the point where I can realistically commit 4k to poker, and be essentially even. Back in January, that number was $500. This may not be that great of a jump, but I just didn’t play that much. Nevertheless, I’m pretty confident I’m a winning player. My biggest detractors before that I still (much less often) suffer from are mental breakdowns. The kind where I make a call or raise and after say, “why the hell did I do that?” It’s more boredom than tilt, and oddly enough, it doesn’t happen the few times I’ve played up a level. I’m pretty sure this is because I have a more overall focus on the game; it means more to me. Those sort of breakdowns is what I’d say is my biggest leak.

My poker stats: I was 15ptbb/100 at 25nl over about 30k hands. After that I’ve played about 20k hands at NL50 and am beating that for 12ptbb/100. I feel good overall, and I did have struggles at 25 and 50 which have been overcome in my mind. After about 10k hands at NL25 I was 7ptbb/100 and after 5k at NL50 I was 5ptbb/100. I see improvement in the stats and in observing my play.

So, right now I have 4,000 dollars and am ready to put that into the Party (and skins) NL100. I only play 6-max. My goal is to beat that for 10ptbb/100. I’ve played up there before and did exceptionally well. I ran well also, so my 1k hands don’t really have any substantiality. I felt comfortable at those tables and my reads were right on for the most part. Also, I was excited and engrossed in the game, something that I’ve lost at NL50. That’s the short term, though. Long term; I want to play 1000NL, and I want to beat that game. It’s as simple as that.

A little more about me. I’ve always done very well at math, I finished calculus in high school, don‘t plan on taking math in college. I scored a 1570 on my SAT’s. I’m going into my second year of college and all signs point to law school and a profession of that sort. I’m living in a house next year with three friends, and will likely stay there over the summer, (pretty empty when schools out=lots of poker). I live about 90 minutes from my parent’s house. My poker reading hs included TOP, HPFAP, Pot-Limit and No-Limit, HOH 1 and 2, TPFAP, Caro’s Book of Tells, Winning Low-Limit Hold-em, and a whole lot of 2+2. I use PT and Gametime plus. I play some MTT’s to kill the monotony (party (10-30), lots of runners) and have final tabled twice (5th and 10th) out of I’d say 30 tournaments. When I play cash games, I usually two table, then three table, then 4-table, then move up.

The real question behind all this babble is what do I have to do to get where I want to be? I’m doing very well, but I’m still playing small stakes poker and getting paid by fish playing terrible. I want more. Is the key to just play a lot? I feel like that’s the only think I’m lacking, but I’d like to hear from people who have done this. All advice greatly appreciated.

UOPokerplayer
Old 08-17-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Re: A Simple Question With No Simple Answer

I cant tell you anything past what I know, but you would be comfortable at $100 NL and probably 200 NL now.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:50 PM

you are being overly-conservative in my book. Hit the 200s and 400s before these games dry up like no-limit games always do eventually. Then you'll have to learn to play limit and the variance sucks.

FWIW I've beat the 200s with no pt/gt+ or poker edge for 14ptbb/100 playing ABC poker on 4-tables listening to breakbeats and dancing with my 1 year old.

edit: also, don't forget to get rakeback.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:44 AM

I don't know. It seems to me you're getting very bored quickly with every limit you play. As you move up, it's going to continue to happen. Just because there's more money, it doesn't stop the boredom. Boredom is a state of mind (my momma always said), and in this situation it's true.

Do you know why most players fail to reach the higher limits or their long term poker goals? (Other than because they suck) They can't handle the mental strains of poker day after day. The mental drainage kills off a lot of great poker players. Playing your best is always important but you need to be at optimal levels mentally. Your boredom isn't going to go away if you keep ignoring it. It's a problem (leak) you will have to overcome if you want to reach your goals.

Just the same, have patience. Rome wasn't built in a day. It takes a lot to be a good player (long term), one step at a time and you'll get where you want to go.

Good luck
Old 08-18-2005, 04:36 AM

Thanks for the responses. This post sort of came to me, and I didn't really know where I was going with it.

As for the boredom, this is a big issue, and I think having a goal to play big-time NL poker in the long run will be something to keep me more motivated. And maybe I am being too conservative, and take advantage of the poker boom at it's biggest. I'm probably over emphasizing moving up levels as a whole.