Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Sticky situation 7cardstudHi

I occasionally get into situations like this. When should I fold (if at all)?

Tournament - 7 Card Stud High (50/100), Ante 10, Bring-In 15 (hand converter)

Hero: (1052)
Seat 2: (1242)
Seat 3: (367)
Seat 4: (1752)
Seat 5: (647)
Seat 6: (230)
Seat 7: (1110)

3rd Street

Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes___raises
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street

Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls (all-in)
Old 04-17-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Sticky situation 7cardstudHi

I hate these situations as well.

Seat 6 is just going all-in, most likely with a lone pair and can be ignored.

If you were going to fold you should have folded to the double reraise on 3rd street. This isn't that bad an option. Let the As knock out the 7s and go on to the next hand.

Calling 4 bets on 3rd and folding to a single bet on 4th is very bad. Once you call 4 bets on 3rd, you have to take at least one more card.

On 4th street, the pot has 765 in it and you only have to call 50. That's 15.3:1 and you are 20:1 to spike a King and 5.7:1 to improve with either a K, J or 6. With those odds, it is an easy call.

Depending on what you hit on 5th street, you can decide whether or not you want to continue the hand.

Personally, I would have folded on 3rd instead of calling the last 2 bets cold, especially in a tourney situation.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:22 PM

Yeah, fold when it is 2 more bets to you on 3rd, or 5th if you really want to hang on.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate these situations as well.

Seat 6 is just going all-in, most likely with a lone pair and can be ignored.

If you were going to fold you should have folded to the double reraise on 3rd street. This isn't that bad an option. Let the As knock out the 7s and go on to the next hand.

Calling 4 bets on 3rd and folding to a single bet on 4th is very bad. Once you call 4 bets on 3rd, you have to take at least one more card.

On 4th street, the pot has 765 in it and you only have to call 50. That's 15.3:1 and you are 20:1 to spike a King and 5.7:1 to improve with either a K, J or 6. With those odds, it is an easy call.

Depending on what you hit on 5th street, you can decide whether or not you want to continue the hand.

Personally, I would have folded on 3rd instead of calling the last 2 bets cold, especially in a tourney situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:43 PM

Thanks for your views.
I think you are right - I should have folded on 3rd street. The fact that I folded to a single bet on 4th was probably an act of anger that I didn't make the fold on 3rd.

As it turns out I was glad to get out of the pot reasonably early. Seat 2 had rolled up Aces and made Aces full of tens on 5th st.

Mr T
Old 04-20-2005, 09:46 PM

You fold when it's two bets back to you on third street. It is overwhelmingly likely that the guy who three-bet has Aces. The 7 probably has a hand and in any case he's given up. It costs too much to continue. Folding on fourth for one bet in this bloated pot was a much, much bigger mistake, though.