Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Defending a donk - your stories

Anyone ever had to do this to keep some ripe dead money from leaving? I had one a while ago on a 3/6 where this younger kid who thought he was awful important to the poker world was harassing EVERYONE when he lost a pot, not just donks. Guy knew what he was doing game-wise, but was nowhere near the level you'd need to be to complain as much as he did. Some plays made against him were decent calls, but he still whined and whined.

Well this very nice yet very bad poker playing middle aged guy was just there to play some cards and have some fun. Made awful play after awful play but was on a hot streak (i.e.- exactly what I wanted, keep him there and playing and get him more chips that weren't mine).

Anyways, donk, two other players and villan (guy insulting left and right) get in a pot. Villan gets his A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] cracked by donk's 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]-2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] when he flushes out on the river. Action was four bet to donk who cold called in LP. Went runner-runner [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] flush and called a flop bet with nothing (three flush).

Villan goes ballistic on donk and starts making smartass comments about how bad of a player the donk is and how he'll never understand what he's saying anyway because he's too stupid. Basically just being an ass.

Villan keeps it up hand after hand making little snide comments under his breath but that the donk can hear. Donk is getting kind of embarassed and looks like he wants to leave and appears to be getting ready to do so when another solid player speaks up- "Getting ready to defend your world series title there eh Doyle?" in a snide voice.

Myself and another player join in giving it back to the villan and he starts swearing about us under his breath.

This worked on two fronts. First, the villan went on crazy tilt and dropped about two racks total. Second, it kept the donk at the table. Donk stayed alive for about three more hours and when the villan finally went all-in and lost (and of course walked away swearing and throwing a fit like he was 5 years old), donk thanked us for sticking up for him and said he was ready to leave because he doesn't play poker that much and just was trying to have a good time. It also cost the villan some chips because the donk refused to get in a pot with him.

And yes, the donk dropped around 2.5 racks to the table and went home busted but thanked us again and was as happy as could be that he had his fun. Nice guy to talk to as well.

Proof that you should always let the fish play fishy. It will pay off in the end. Anyone else?
Old 11-18-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Defending a donk - your stories

A reminder to all tpter's: don't EVER tap the glass. It costs us all money.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:42 PM

It can be tough finding a way to muzzle a guy without alerting the fishies to your motivation. But I usually try something similarly sarcastic, such as "are you a pro?", "thanks for the lessons," etc.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:52 PM

Online - try to use the invite function to send a note telling them to STFU.

Live - I wait near the bathroom for them with a bat...

-ZEN
Old 11-19-2005, 12:30 AM

Yeah, I ask, are you giving lessons? or I jsut defend his play "How could he fold?!" "I don't think I could have folded that hand" Stuff like that.

Also if I'm generally in a friendly mood I attempt to make an effort to talk to the fish in just friendly conversation. I think if the table coaches see me doing this it has a multiway effect. First, they might get led by example and at least not be a dick. Second, if they are a regular they at least know me as consistent winner. Third, people are generally less likely to get attacky at a friendly table and friendly conversation leads to that. They are more likely to just sit there and stew. Finally, I think they'll be less likely to attack someone who has a friend/ally at the table, and with many of the regulars they'll be even less likely if it's me (not necesarily because they think i'm any good, but maybe because we've at least been cordial in the past and attacking my friend now is sort of attacking me too, easy to do to tourists harder to do to someone you see every day). Finally, if they do get criticized/verbally attacked I'm very quick to jump to their defense if we've already been engaged in friendly conversation.

Online it's much easier. You just insult the table coach and draw his ire to you. Really annoying though is when they are like "goofball, you're good, Im' good xxxxx isgood, this guy's a total fish." Then you know he has your PT stats and isn't going to buy for a second any kind of act. If that happens just private invite them to a table and tell them to stfu as someone suggested.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Online it's much easier. You just insult the table coach and draw his ire to you. Really annoying though is when they are like "goofball, you're good, Im' good xxxxx isgood, this guy's a total fish." Then you know he has your PT stats and isn't going to buy for a second any kind of act. If that happens just tell him (and the table) that you're playing on your boyfriend's accound and trying to clean it out because he passed out drunk while you were messing around and this is the only way you have to 'blow off steam', since your batteries are all dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]