Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 05:47 PM

Default New here, looking for comments on a hand ...

I had made this post on a different forum, but think here would be better to get some feedback. I am new to this game (in trying to play for more than just fun). I have been lurking 2+2 for a while, and debating whether to move up from .5/1 to 1/2 at party. I was concerned that the skill levels would swamp me quickly as i am still learning what works best for me at this game.

Here is a hand from last night. I sit down at a 1/2 table that is very loose (vp$ .4) and passive. Here is the second hand I got. Aside from the spectacularly poor play of the villans, i welcome comments as to whether you think me being more aggressive on flop and turn would have resulted in increased or decreased return for me. Would aggression early have likely scared them away? My gut says now I should have reraised at the turn.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6s, 9s.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, 1 fold, MP1 raises, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, 1 fold, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 6d, 6h, 6c (8 players)
SB bets, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 raises, Button folds, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (15 BB) 5h (7 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG bets, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 raises, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (27 BB) Ah (6 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, Hero raises, UTG calls, UTG+1 3-bets, MP3 calls, Hero caps, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 42 BB

Results below:
Hero has 6s 9s (four of a kind, sixes).
UTG has 7c 7s (full house, sixes full of sevens).
UTG+1 has Ad 3h (full house, sixes full of aces).
MP2 has Tc 9h (three of a kind, sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins 42 BB

As for fear of moving up levels ... i suppose what limits the stakes i play should be my bankroll, not fear of others

thanks!
Old 11-02-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: New here, looking for comments on a hand ...

If I'm reading this right, it looks like you flopped quads and waited until the river to go nuts in a huge multi-way pot. I think I would've started raising on the flop or turn. You were going to get lots of people chasing their full house "outs" so I don't think you have to worry too much about scaring people off.

I won't be the last person to say this but, in general, don't worry so much extracting the most value when you flop quads or a straight flush or whatever. Focus more on the marginal situations that happen more often. There was really no way for you to screw this hand up too badly...
Old 11-02-2005, 05:52 PM

NH. I like it. You also could have raised the turn and let the cat out of the bag to make anyone who picked up a flush draw pay for it as well as those chasing fullhouses. Just an option. Other than that its hard to misplay quads.

Look for more marginal situations to get advice on. That will help you a LOT more
Old 11-02-2005, 05:53 PM

nice table
Old 11-02-2005, 05:55 PM

You'll get the same answers here that you did in SS. Bet or raise somewhere before the river. You have the most well disguised hand in all of poker because no one thinks you have te 4th six and anyone with any pair has a fullhouse and loves their hand and will give you a ton of action. It's not that hard.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I won't be the last person to say this but, in general, don't worry so much extracting the most value when you flop quads or a straight flush or whatever. Focus more on the marginal situations that happen more often. There was really no way for you to screw this hand up too badly...

[/ QUOTE ]

Right - thanks. I now vaguely recall that point from TOP or small-stakes hold-em or maybe a 2+2 post. its the small but common errors that cause the real problems ... its all coming back to me now.

at least it is heartening to know that tables like that do exist.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:59 PM

I agree with the other posters that you've got to re-raise on the turn. But the thing that really caught my eye is that you said this was your second hand at the table and you were in the BB. If this is correct, it means you posted as UTG. I would guess that this will cost you more money in the long term than flopping quads will make you. Just wait for the big blind.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:03 PM

Holy ... 42 BB aren't enough?

Seriously, you're going to make money on this no matter what the heck you do, especially at such a donktastic table. So don't worry about it.

That being said, the beauty of a turn raise is that anyone who doesn't have a hand yet can still delude themselves that a magic card is coming. You don't have that lure on the river.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:24 PM

I love the T9o. He's probably thinking they're all bluffing. Otherwise, he is just drunk or doesn't care.

I wait for the turn. Some people obviously like there hands based on the flop action. Check raise the turn and hope you can cap it.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'll get the same answers here that you did in SS. Bet or raise somewhere before the river. You have the most well disguised hand in all of poker because no one thinks you have te 4th six and anyone with any pair has a fullhouse and loves their hand and will give you a ton of action. It's not that hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a repost? I'm going to sound quite rude, but this is a tough love forum that breaks bad habits right away, whether they're bad poker playing habits or bad posting habits. I realize you're new, but everyone's got to learn sometime. First of all, don't post results in a hand. Ever. At least if it's a post for which you intend to get good strategic advice. Secondly, worrying about whether you won the maximum in hands like this is a non-issue. You could open-fold the flop and it would have a negligible effect on your long term win rate. These events are so rare as to not matter. Third, if you make a post somewhere and you don't like what they tell you, going to another board for "a second opinion" isn't going to get you anywhere. Many people read multiple forums (as you can see here), and the correct advice doesn't depend on who's giving it. If you're thoughts on the play are wrong, you're not going to be able to move around from forum to forum to find people who agree w/ you. Fourth, posts like this, where you hit big hands and/or mock the poor play of your opponents belong in the Designated No Content Thread.

Posts like this generally get locked here lest they take up a spot on the front page that could be occupied by good strategy. However, the people of this forum, in their good nature, have made a good effort to put strategy here, so I'll let it live.

I would strongly encourage you to respond to the posts other members put up and say how you think you'd play it. Don't worry about getting the answer wrong - that's what we're here for. We'll correct you, and you can become a better poker player. Figuring out how to play flopped quads is not how you make your money as a poker player. Since folding them is a negligible mistake, any way you play them is fine. It's in the marginal situations that you encounter over and over that are where your money is won and lost. Work on those areas.