Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Stars $20 180 person SNG - 1st post

I'm about 25 of 50 with an average stack. Table has been playing about what you'd expect at this stage, aggressive pushes with just about anything. First post here, so please share comments as well as advice on the hand.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button (t1955)
SB (t2127)
Hero (t6305)
UTG (t3230)
UTG+1 (t10193)
MP1 (t2230)
MP2 (t8910)
CO (t14785)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t200, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t200, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t875) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t400</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1200</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t6400</font>, Hero calls t4880 (All-In).

Turn: (t13355) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t13355) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t13355
Old 10-31-2005, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Stars $20 180 person SNG - 1st post

pre-flop- fine.

flop- you have a straight draw and a runner-runner flush chance, plus top pair, but a mediocre kicker. You checked with what intent? He made a half-the pot bet which doesn't necessarily mean weakness. Is that why you check-raised- because he showed weakness? I'd have called the bet because you may be ahead, and if not, you have a lot of outs. I dislike the check-raise because your hand is not close enough to the nuts. He may have a made straight, a better flush draw, top two pair, or TPTK. You had plenty of chips to work with if you folded to the check-raise. 5000 when the blinds are 100/200 makes your M just below 17.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:21 AM

Any read at all on the cutoff?

Top pair, lousy kicker, weak draw, out of position. Yummy.

I might bet 300-400 at this flop and run against any opposition, or more than likely check/fold.

But that's me. After the check-raise, the CO goes all-in, which should make you think for a little bit. It smells a lot like a straight or a set, but even if it's not, his draw has got to be stronger than yours. What could he have, aside from absolutely nothing?

Fold and take the chips some other time. I really hate busting out with top pair.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the input. I did think quite a while after he pushed in. I had seen him do it once before with nothing but a draw, and thought it was defitinitely possible he had something like 55 or A5 or A9. I never thought of 45. I figured 9T would be possible, but didn't think he'd push this and would instead just call. I'm pretty knew to the MTTs, and giving them a shot as opposed to regular SNGs. Again, thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:43 PM

i would lead out at that flop. if you lead, either 1 or 3 bets will go in, with you making the 3rd (all-in). if it's 1, you'll still have a decent stack left and are not committed. if it's 3, you're in ok position and and you might fold out hands like J8/flush draw that you don't wan tto play against.

if you check, you might put 0 or 2 bets in. 0 sucks because there are ~10000 cards that you don't want to see, and 2 is tough also because you'll leave yourself with one pot-sized bet out of position without a clear idea of where you stand. if 3 go in, that's not great either because 2 pair / set / straight starts to look more and more likely when a villain puts in the big 3rd bet, but you hate to fold against a hand like JJ.

given that you checked, i'd c/r a little more. you want to charge flush draws.

once he pushes, i think you have to vomit and fold. you need to be ~40% based on chipEV pot odds, and you're going to get shown two pair/set/straight too often, imo. you're almost never going to be ahead. you're only ~52% against a flush draw + overs, and you'd prefer to avoid risking going broke.

welcome to the forum.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or more than likely check/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's too weak. you've got top pair and a decent draw. there are a lot of semi-bluff hands that get bet here, including a lot of 9x hands that hero has smoked. not to mention worse 1 pair hands.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

that's too weak. you've got top pair and a decent draw. there are a lot of semi-bluff hands that get bet here, including a lot of 9x hands that hero has smoked. not to mention worse 1 pair hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. So lead out and hope they fold. I don't value the draw much at all here. If it hits, I don't think they'll play along unless you're beat or tied.