Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 10:56 PM

Default 20 Dollar Shoot out on party

Anyway the blinds are 5/10 its the first level of the first table. I got 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I am in the cutoff and have 970.

Preflop, 4 people before me limp, I limp, BB checks.

Flop:J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](65 in the middle)

3 checks, Villan(1000) bets pots, I min raise probably because I suck at holdem tourneys, everyone folds to Villan and he just calls.

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img](325 in the middle)

Villan bets pot, I call for some reason probably because I suck at holdem tourneys.

River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img](975 in the middle)

He bets 175. I move all in for 505, he calls.

Now how badly did I screw this up? Ill post results in a bit, just want to know where I screwed up.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: 20 Dollar Shoot out on party

He had a set of Jacks by the way, and he eliminated me, thats about it. Im pretty sure I screwed at one point in the hand, I mean you have to be pretty bad to get eliminated in the first level of a tourney.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:47 PM

the only part where you screwed up was in posting this asking where you screwed up.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:55 PM

There is no way to get out of this.

You wan't to be all-in, one way or the other. No flush-draws and only a minor straight poosibility.

You might want to bet out the possible straight draw even though it is not very likely or you might want to slowplay.

Anyways; when 2 players hit sets with pocket pairs, and the board is not heavily coordinated, the biggest set wins big - not much to do about that IMO.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the only part where you screwed up was in posting this asking where you screwed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paging BBP, paging BBP ...
Old 10-31-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know im an omaha player so set vs set is not uncommon and getting smacked with a small set is pretty damn embarrasing, thats why I posted it. I assumed somehow I could have gotten away from it.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:45 AM

set over set isn't nearly as common in hold 'em, and any time you get you rmoney in with a set when theres no obvious flush or straight out there, you did good, despite what the results of this hand may say.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:59 AM

Set over set in Hold'em is pretty rare, and there was no real way to see this one coming. Better to lose it all here than on the bubble.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:48 AM

trips beat by over-trips is simply a bad tournament. You didn't screw up at all except that I would have raised (or reraised) on the turn (that wouldn't have mattered in this case). But it just wasn't your tournament, get on the horse and try again.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:06 AM

I agree with the other posters. If your set is up against a bigger set you are meant to loose your money. Think about it a player is dealt a pocket pair one hand out of 16. Your will flop a set about one out of 8 times. I am not a math shark but it seems obvious that it does not happen very often. I have played more than 50 K hands and it has happened to me once or twice – I have been all in pre-flop with kings against more often.

Best Regards

sunek