Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Indiana Poker, Grand Victoria Upgrades and Belterra update.

Hadn't played at Grand Victoria in rising sun IN for a while and they have been hard at work. Poker room is still small but they added a few card shuffling machines, made the poker room non-smoking, go rid of the $5 seating fee and have been running tournaments for a seat at the WSOP. Bad Beat Jackpot is coming soon but they don't know for sure when.

Stopped at Belterra on the way back to check about their new poker room. On track for opening June 1st and if they can open sooner they will. 12 tables, 3-6 hold'em is the lowest game and the sky is the limit on the upper end. The room will be non-smoking. That is all I know at the moment.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Indiana Poker, Grand Victoria Upgrades and Belterra update.

Glad to see other poker rooms growing and coming to the Ohio River. I am getting tired of the poker room at Caesars. I played the other night, the players were really getting under my skin and that very rarely happens to me.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:35 AM

why hasn't the argosy gotten into the game yet?
they do so much more business then grand vic and a poker-room there would be wildly successful i suspect.

they could rake 25% up to $9 per hand there and would still pack them in.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:23 AM

It is my understanding they are the most profitable boat on the Ohio, or at least in Indiana.

they probably don't want the drop in revenue per sqft.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the update. I will be probably be dropping by that area at the end of the month and will check it out.

Re: Argosy -- they are currently in a buyout. The boat is being sold from AGY to PENN. Rumor is PENN plans on replacing the boat with an even larger one! Hard to make changes when you have a reorg and possible large scale remodeling going on. You are probably right about $ per sq ft thing also.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Glad to see other poker rooms growing and coming to the Ohio River. I am getting tired of the poker room at Caesars. I played the other night, the players were really getting under my skin and that very rarely happens to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope I wasn't one of 'em [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was on a business trip and played $1/2 NL on Mon and Tues then 5/10 on Wed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why hasn't the argosy gotten into the game yet?
they do so much more business then grand vic and a poker-room there would be wildly successful i suspect.

they could rake 25% up to $9 per hand there and would still pack them in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Initially, yes....Long term, no. No one could beat the game with a rake that high and while the Argosy may get a lot of touristy types, they aren't the ones keeping the games going, it's the regulars and that high of a rake would cannibalize the regs, thus no games.

I'm already seeing 5/10 regs, and even some 10/20 regs at Caesar's dropping down to 3/6 and/or 2/10 stud. Quite honestly they aren't that bad of players, but they are too weak-tight to beat a game that has a 10% rake up to $5 with an extra buck coming out of every pot to a jackpot.