Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-30-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Chopping etiquette

Playing a 4/8 kill game in Calgary last week.

A pretty loose game was undergoing a spell of tightness. It was folded to me in the SB. I had 66. A couple people at the table (neither me nor the BB) said "chop?" I was ready to raise, but I started to suggest to BB that I call, and we run it for the hell of it.

Before I could finish, BB mucked his hand (assuming there was going be a chop). The dealer (shooting me a disapproving look) ruled that since BB mucked, I was the winner and there would be no chop. (Woo hoo! $6!!!)

I'd never run into a chopping situation before.
Am I obliged to chop, if it has been happening around the table so far?
Is it customary? Does that change at different limits?
If I do it once, do I have to/should I do it every time during a single session?
If I've got a good hand why would I want to chop (besides maintaining goodwill and loose play)?

Please help.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Chopping etiquette

It is customary to chop if it is folded to the blinds. Don't look at your cards and chop.

At least in nice games.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:38 PM

I'll add that if you chop once it is polite to chop the remainder of your session.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:47 PM

By the way...what's your IQ (if you don't mind me asking)?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:49 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2005, 10:02 PM

I once saw a live game where the BB wouldnt chop, and the SB ran his ass into the ground with pocket aces. BB had 22 and thought he was badass. Small blind tried to let him off easy, but BB was a jerk. I say chop to keep everyone happy and the game moving.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:38 PM

I don't chop.

If it's folded to me in the small blind I usually raise or fold.

If I'm in the big blind and it's folded to the small blind and he asks me to chop I politely say, "No". This usually stuns most people and puts them on a slight tilt. Many will fold, some call. Sometimes when they call I raise. This usually unnerves them a bit also.

Forget chopping etiquette and PLAY POKER instead. Anyone who even considers chopping is screaming that they are afraid to play shorthanded. You'll hear every lame excuse in the book (... it slows down the game ... the rake makes it -EV for everyone ... it's just a friendly game ... blah blah blah ... BLAH BLAH BLAH ...). It's all nonsense. They are afraid to play shorthanded. Period.

This has been very profitable for me and creates a great table image. It intimidates a lot of players and tends to make them play more straightforwardly when they are in a pot with me.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't chop.

It intimidates a lot of players and tends to make them play more straightforwardly when they are in a pot with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh no it doesn't. It pisses people off and causes them to tighten up agaisnt you. You never want to look like a prick at a table unless you are in a tourniment. Yea maybe the guy to your left or right may lose to you when you are the blind, but the rest of the table notices and will act accordily.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:53 AM

I don't believe in chopping. Once a guy got really pissed that I didn't want to chop. 2/5 blinds he has 44, I have jacks, he loses $700, all the action is preflop...

Why chop, especially when you are in the BB and have position on your opponent.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe in chopping. Once a guy got really pissed that I didn't want to chop. 2/5 blinds he has 44, I have jacks, he loses $700, all the action is preflop...

Why chop, especially when you are in the BB and have position on your opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many reasons why. Most of the people you win money off of are regular opponents. You do not want to piss them off and play tighter against you. Do you understand why?