Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Help, I\'m getting raped online (long)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you have answered your own questions. You have a short bankroll, don't pay attention while playing, have no confidence. I'm going to say you're not as good as you think you are based on the info above and the fact you probably got hit by the deck when you went on your initial run. Take a break, study, increase BR and try it again with discipline.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never claimed to be a good player. I think I have the necessary skills in order to beat the 25NL, though. I agree on the lack of attention span- although its tough, I think I have ADD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Orange,

I've read and responded to a good number of your posts. You certainly have the skill to beat 25NL+.

6That said, you have to concentrate, be disciplined at the table, and employ proper bankroll management.

You want confidence, here it is: your thinking about the game is better than 97% of your opponents at 25NL.

Have confidence, play well.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:50 AM

If you play weak tight you will be able to beat both 25NL and 50NL and probably 100NL on Party(if the present conditions remain). The rocks are totally obvious and are too weak tight. The only hard decisions you will have are with the fish. If you have JJ or QQ or even KK(with a super rock)give it up for a big reraise they will have KK or better pre flop. Superfish (agrressive bad players) it's more read specific. Don't try and out play the rocks till you have your game down pat and you will beat these levels........ [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 03:56 AM

If you don't have the roll for 25Nl go to sites with 10Nl or even 5 and build your roll there. The quality of player will be roughly the same with variance being less of a factor......
Old 12-12-2005, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't have the roll for 25Nl go to sites with 10Nl or even 5 and build your roll there. The quality of player will be roughly the same with variance being less of a factor......

[/ QUOTE ]

Cannot go to other sites do to money situation atm. Hopefully I can start up soon though.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:15 AM

I feel your pain orange, I'm on a 200bb downswing as we speak, in a bad financial situation playing on a friends account, mine did exactly what yours did, lost his whole roll and 1/4 of mine. Take a little time to think, I've learned from hands and responses you have posted. That said I think you need to concentrate, play poker and don't do other crap at the same time. I'm a 22 year old male and this is hard for me too, but it has to be done.
Bankroll management is your best friend right now because unlike so many others you know how to play.

Good luck (you won't hear that often from me)

Cambraceres
Old 12-12-2005, 09:24 AM

When you get your party account, remember you can play at their beginner tables for the first 45 days. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 09:32 AM

Without PT I definitely wouldn't play Ring at a site that supports it.

You might like to look at SnG's (1 table or Heads-Up) to build a small roll up with limited risk if you make a mistake..

I played 300 SnG's before I went anywhere near a Ring Game and feel that it's a great way of getting a lot of NL hands under your belt with little risk..
Old 12-12-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I have ADD.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how failure to pay attention is now classified as an illness.

I'm not a college freshman but I was one 24 years ago. You're obviously stressed over the finances, so square them before you play another hand online. As another poster recommended, get your accounts set up, get PT and GT+ (or better yet PokerAce HUD). As you've well discovered, the edge online is thin. If you play stressed, you'll give it away.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:45 AM

Something that may work for you, it does for me.

I found that when I play a full table, success comes from playing super tight aggressive. Other folks at a full table generally respect raises and continuation bets. So your aggression can pay off.

At a 6max table, I find that aggressive pre-flop (unless monster starter) is just spewing chips. I think the reason is, that everyone wants in community hands no matter what the raise is. So a 3 - 4 bet raise will still get 3 - 4 callers out of 6, and if you miss you basically lost your raise.

So my strategy at a 6max table is the following:

1. Passive preflop: i.e. dont raise mid-raising hands AQ,AJ,
2. Raise high suited connectors on button or 1 off, hoping to get a chance for a free card if needed after flop.
3. Get in as many pots as possible with marginal hands when community is involved. Especially if somone is raising 3 - 4 times blind.
4. 2 pair or better after flop, play hyper aggressive.
5. Got to be willing to put your stack in the middle with the edge. Too many people still calling with middle pair let alone a top pair hand.
6. If your table is raising every time 3 - 4 BB's or so, dont be afraid to limp with a monster, and push after it gets raised. Someone will still call you with something you dominate.
7. Had to add: If someone pushes all in in front of you representing an overbet. Dont call unless you have a set or better, or a good read on them. If you have a good read on them, I still think 2 pair or better.

These are just some of the things I do when I am building at the lower levels. I buy in short, therefore I can push the edges when I hit.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:47 AM

You should stop playing for a day or two to collect thoughts. You need to get your head together. If you are afraid of losing then your play will suffer.

Most of the good players in this forum (you know who they are) have been on multi-buy-in downswings. You can be playing at the top of your game and still have a few devastating losing sessions. People tend to forget that we enjoy playing a game where luck is a determining factor.

Post hands, look for leaks, but most importantly, don't lose your confidence. Poker is about making right decisions. If you do that, bankroll growth will naturally occur. Think about hands/situations where you lost money. Did you make the right decision? If so, don't dwell on it, just know that if you continue to make that decision you will be way ahead over the long run.

To offer a word of encouragement, I started playing on Party two weeks ago. After about 7k hands one of my biggest losing hands is AA. The worst poker player in the world will make money playing AA so I know things will turn around and I don't let it bother me.

I hope all goes well with your parent s and you get set-up with Pokertracker. You seem like the type of player who would immediately benefit from it.