Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 03:02 AM

Default WSOP Circuit lay down of KK\'s. Not sure it was correct.

This was the first event, $300 buy-in at the Caesar's Indiana Circuit event last week.

I was card dead for the first 3 levels and had only played one hand until this hand came up. In that hand I limped in the CO w/ JTo after several limpers and folded to a bet on the flop.

I was down to T1300 chips halfway thru level 3 w/ blinds at 50/100 when this hand came up. I look down at two red kings in EP2 and raise it up to T150. My thinking at this point was how unforutnate it was that I wouldn't get a single caller b/c of my tight image at the table.

Much to my surprise, I get reraised to T400 by MP2 who had about T2200. He had been in maybe 18% of the hands so far. My read on him was that he was a semi-tight passive player who hadn't done anything out of line. I had also watched him when he was in other hands as to his breathing and general demeanor.

Everyone folds back around to me. I have to say that normally, I would shove all my chips in here at this point but I decided to call as I couldn't imagine this guy reraising me with anything other than AA's or AKs. In addition, when he reraised me to 400, he did it forcefully and I hadn't seen him act so aggressively during his other raises. I studied him for a second, thougt his breathing was a little more rapid than other hands I'd seen him in, and decided to just call.

The flop came 7s2s8c. I was down to T900 chips and checked to him. He threw out T400 chips almost immediately. He hadn't acted like this in any of the other hands I'd seen him play to this point.

I went into the tank. After about 3 minutes, I folded face down but not before casually allowing the guy to my left see my hand. I surmised he had AA's and there was no way I was ahead.

Was this a bad fold? Should I never fold KK's in this spot?
BTW he showed the table his hand.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Re: WSOP Circuit lay down of KK\'s. Not sure it was correct.

Folding KK when you have 13x the Big Blind is weak. Very weak. I don't like it at all.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:09 AM

I certainly wouldn't be so sure the guy had AA. I'm curious about your raise, as it seems to me you'd have to make it at least 200 to go with 50/100 blinds, no? So you min-raised and he min-re-raised?

[ QUOTE ]
normally, I would shove all my chips in here at this point but I decided to call as I couldn't imagine this guy reraising me with anything other than AA's or AKs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you thought that, shouldn't it be raise or fold?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding KK when you have 13x the Big Blind is weak. Very weak. I don't like it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding KK pre-flop is strictly against my religion. The poker gods reward my devotion with the occasional king on the river.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:30 AM

-It's a horrible fold.

-I can't ever see folding KK after that flop. I would of actually re-re raise all in preflop.

- You have played with this guy for 3 levels and all of a sudden you deem yourself a breathing expert? Couldnt he also reraise with QQ, JJ, AQ etc??? Could he be bluffing a weak tight?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
T1300 chips halfway thru level 3 w/ blinds at 50/100 when this hand came up. I look down at two red kings in EP2 and raise it up to T150.

[/ QUOTE ]
This seems off.

[ QUOTE ]

Everyone folds back around to me. I have to say that normally, I would shove all my chips in here at this point

[/ QUOTE ]

and that would be correct IMO. If you were card dead for 3 hours, finally picked up a hand and ran into the nuts, so be it, clearly not your tournament, but with your stack you have to push here IMO.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After about 3 minutes, I folded face down but not before casually allowing the guy to my left see my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did the guy to your left look at you like you had three heads?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:40 AM

I would have to push here pf, if you run into them, like the last poster said, so be it. Pushing them pf lets you sit back and watch, since you might make some weird decisions postflop with your short stack. If you're gonna fold ANYWHERE, maybe, maybe find a re-raise that allows you to not be pot-commited, but I couldn't do it.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:21 AM

I apologize! I was tired last night when I posted this and didn't have the info correct. It was halfway thru level 2 when blinds were 25/50 b/c I raised 3xBB to T150 and he repopped me to T400 to go.

It had been a little over an hour after the tourney started and as I said, I had only played one hand where I limped preflop, then folded on the flop.

I guess you would have to be there to really understand how this guy's demeanor changed and maybe I understated that fact in the OP. I was sure I was beaten so I laid them down.

My reasoning was twofold:

1. I had a VERY tight image at the table where most players had already been in 7 or 8 hands where as I had only limped into 1. How could this guy reraise me w/ QQ's or less given that image?

2. This guys was screaming strength at me. Something was different with him this hand.

Can you never laydown the KK's in this situation? My tourney was on the line, I still would have T900 to work with and possibly double up to get back into it.

Yeah, I could have done the easy thing and said all in and if my read was correct be dead to two outs w/ 2 cards to come. I understand that KK's w/ undercards is a monster on that flop.

But I couldn't possibly see how a semi-tight passive player who RERAISED the tightest player at the table's first raise and second hand played could have anything other than AK's or AA's.

I have never, ever laid down KK's on a flop like this until that tourney.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:38 AM

You may find play money tables more enjoyable.
How the [censored] do you get away from this hand.
Poker takes some balls, I suggest growing a set.