Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: people with a lot of posts who play micro-limit (little content)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've noticed a few posters here with like a 1000 posts who play micro-limit. Just curious to know why. I can't imagine anyone with that amount of posts not being able to beat 5-10 or crush 3-6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you seriously equating "# of posts" to "poker skill" ??

(Let alone "# of micro posts" ??)

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying that. But I do think they would have some correlation.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:00 PM

People learn at different speeds. Some people are more social than others. Some people play strictly for money. Some people are more risk averse. Some people naturally have more or less confidence in themselves.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:01 PM

I'm a slow learner and didn't break out of the 3/6 game until probably 4k-5k posts. And I didn't even swing by the OOT forum until recently.

Here's a thought:
If I had spent LESS time posting about how dumb Phil Hellmuth is or going on and on about crypto-bonuses or other worthless topics and had spent MORE time actually reading up HH's in the HUSH, SS and M/H forums I would be a MUCH better player now.
The fact that I have over 7k posts is the number 1 reason why I'm NOT as good a player as I would like to be.

Less talking...more listening.

The lurkers who read HH after HH and absorb the information but only have 100 posts are far more likely to be better players than the non-stop mouth-pieces like myself who get involved in threads about the TV show 'Tilt' or who the best and worst poker-announcers are.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The lurkers who read HH after HH and absorb the information but only have 100 posts are far more likely to be better players than the non-stop mouth-pieces like myself who get involved in threads about the TV show 'Tilt' or who the best and worst poker-announcers are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh crap, now I will have to conserve my posts to stay under 100. Mike Sexton and Howard Lederer are the best announcers.

If you have <100 posts please do not waste a post replying. Replies from those with >1,000 posts welcome.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:26 PM

Some people, like that Hack guy posted a billion hand history thread which isnt terrible, but then in each one he got in an argument with someone and would have at least 10 replies in each of his threads. The guy had a 1,000 posts in a few weeks and he only played .25/.50, they all were surprisingly in micro but just not worth reading. I lurk alot more than post on the other hand so I dont have nearly as many posts as people who are at the same level or people who registered the same time.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've noticed a few posters here with like a 1000 posts who play micro-limit. Just curious to know why. I can't imagine anyone with that amount of posts not being able to beat 5-10 or crush 3-6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you seriously equating "# of posts" to "poker skill" ??

(Let alone "# of micro posts" ??)

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying that. But I do think they would have some correlation.

[/ QUOTE ]

(Note what I bolded).

Then yes, you are "saying that".

Adam
Old 02-13-2005, 03:59 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
If you really think that Mike Sexton is one of the best announcers then you're beyond help anyway!!
Old 02-13-2005, 04:28 PM

I still play 1/2. Most of my posts have been part of my learning to play. I starting posting while staill playing .02/.04, and build my BR from there.

So, could I beat the 3/6 game? I would like to think so yes. Do I have the BR for 3/6? Yes. I am just a pussy. I am really conservative with my roll -- probably too concervative, b/c I nursed that thing from when it was $50. I don't make a move up until I am 1000% sure I'm ready.

My own opinion is that the biggest mistake people make is moving up limits too fast. I would MUCH rather err on the side of caution.

But, more than anything to me I guess, it's about doing this well. Poker is a hobby for me, and part of the challenge for me is playing the right way. I am taking a long a slow road, but I like to think I am learning the game the right way, step by step, analyzing my mistakes, improving my game, and making sure all my big leaks are plugged by the time I move up to a game where such leaks can cost a lot more.

Basically, like I said above, I'm a pussy.

EDIT: I have never been to OOT -- but I do occasionally make silly or otherwise annoying/inapproraite posts in this, the zoo, or the micro forum that I (probably mistakenly) think are funny. But most of my posts are about poker.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:49 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
So, could I beat the 3/6 game? I would like to think so yes. Do I have the BR for 3/6? Yes. I am just a pussy. I am really conservative with my roll -- probably too concervative, b/c I nursed that thing from when it was $50. I don't make a move up until I am 1000% sure I'm ready.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. This section prety much sums up how I feel too.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have over 2,000 posts, a bankroll for 5/10 6-max, and yet I play 1/2 6-max.

I'm risk averse.