Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2004, 11:12 PM

Default How badly did I mismanage the cowboys?

Poker Room 1/2 - 7 handed

Villain in this hand is a LAG, 35/15. He is very aggressive when he decides to play, usually. This hand was a little strange which is what threw me off, I think.

Hero is UTG+2 with KK, UTG+1 Posts

UTG Folds, UTG+1 Checks, Hero Raises, CO Calls, Button Folds, SB Calls, BB Folds, UTG +1 (Poster) Folds

Flop: (3 Players) 2 A 5 Rainbow

SB Checks, Hero Bets, CO Raises, Hero...

Does anyone fold this here? I didn't, but I'm starting to think I should have. This raise usually means that AK is toast, but since this guy is very LAGgy, I thought I might still have a shot.

Hero Calls, SB Folds

Turn: Q (suit unimportant)

Hero Checks, CO Bets, Hero Calls

Basically, I think that the only thing I beat here is a bluff. Is a typical LAG bluffing here often enough for me to be calling this down?

River: 6 (Completing the rainbow)

Hero Checks, CO Bets, Hero Calls.

There really weren't any super draws here, and I think all I could beat was a bluff. Anyone care to tell me I'm wrong? Unfortunately, I think I just fell in love with these kings and couldn't let them go. I convinced myself that my LAG opponent was probably bluffing this time and that this was a good hand to catch him with.

As it turns out, he WAS bluffing. The problem is, he was bluffing with the best hand. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

He showed A9o to take the pot.

Should I have raised this hand at any point? Should I have folded it when he raised the flop, or I didn't improve on the turn?

Dov
Old 10-22-2004, 08:47 AM

Default Re: How badly did I mismanage the cowboys?

Against an unknown I would usually fold to a re-raise on a rainbow flop like this as I hate the idea of having to call down in a small pot. With the CO cold-calling pre-flop and re-raising the flop I put him on an Ace as most opponents automatically assume you have an Ace if you raised pre-flop. Against an aggressive opponent I think its closer as an aggressive opponent could be re-raising the flop with a pocket pair for example, however I think I might still fold in this spot. I might be a bit weak-tight in my thinking on this one. Others feel free to comment.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As it turns out, he WAS bluffing. The problem is, he was bluffing with the best hand. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

He showed A9o to take the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would he EVER coldcall with A9o and bluff when he flop top pair???
He bet for value and wanted u to call him down.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:56 AM

I could have just as easily had AK. I had only been playing premium hands and showing down hands like AK, AQ, KK, QQ. I only played maybe 5 hands an hour. They were still playing no matter what.

I don't think he was thinking about my hand at all. If he was, I probably should have raised him. As it were, I think he was calling down no matter what.

Remember, this guy is a LAG. He wasn't betting for value. He wanted me to fold so he could take the pot.

Dov
Old 10-22-2004, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I could have just as easily had AK. I had only been playing premium hands and showing down hands like AK, AQ, KK, QQ. I only played maybe 5 hands an hour. They were still playing no matter what.

I don't think he was thinking about my hand at all. If he was, I probably should have raised him. As it were, I think he was calling down no matter what.

Remember, this guy is a LAG. He wasn't betting for value. He wanted me to fold so he could take the pot.

Dov

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong here!
Why would he coldcall in the first place if he thought that?
Lets say he knew you had AK on the flop, do you think he would raise you?

I like your line "I dont think he was thinking about my hand at all".
That is probably correct and he looks at his hand and sees that he has aces. He thinks, Aces are good. I bet, you call. You lose. End of story.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:03 AM

After having slept on it, I have decided that folding the flop was better.

Whatever he reraised me with, I have no way to know where I stand. On the A25 flop, the only reasonable hands are: AA, 22, 55, A2. A5, 25, 34, and maybe a semibluff play with A3, & A4. Of course, he could also make this play with other hands like pocket pairs above 5, just to see where he's at.

I can't beat any of those hands, so the only thing I think I can do is cap the flop and fold to a bet on the turn unimproved, or fold the flop.

The more I think about it, the more I think I should be folding here. I just don't think I'll be ahead often enough to call this down.

Thanks for responding guys.

Dov
Old 10-22-2004, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like your line "I dont think he was thinking about my hand at all".
That is probably correct and he looks at his hand and sees that he has aces. He thinks, Aces are good. I bet, you call. You lose. End of story.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right here. That's why I was wondering if I should raise or not. If I raise, maybe he'll finally put me on AK. But I don't think this guy was folding no matter what.

He played A9 to catch an A and he did. I think he was going to see this one through to the end. I should have folded the flop. See my other response for the rest of my reasoning.

Thanks for your lucid reply.

I appreciate it.

Dov