Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2004, 02:30 PM

Default Re: What about the flop-play?

Check raising the flop is going to kill your action. You may as well turn over your cards and see if they still want to play with you. I think the better course of action is to play it straight all the way through, looking for overcalls from hopeless hands and using your psychoflexitive powers to will one of the limpers behind you into trap raising the field on the turn.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:36 PM

Default Re: A river checkraise

I like this play because it is probably the best plan of getting at least 1 bet from each player on the river. The first player will call the button "bluff snapping" and then pow. I think if you bet out on the river you will likely get 0, 1, or 2 bets but checking will likely get you 2, 3 or 4.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:42 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

Check raising the flop is going to kill your action. You may as well turn over your cards and see if they still want to play with you.

there is a QUEEN, a JACK, and a NINE out there in a RAISED POT. many people will have a piece of it, and most will (at least) call.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:44 PM

It looks to me as if this guy has a hand that he intends to call down with.

I think checking the river is a big mistake. I don't care how loose he is, there are a fair number of hands he will check behind you that he would have paid you off with.

You're risking a probable two big bets to earn a probable one bet, as one or the other will probably not pay off the raise.

Bird in the hand, all of that.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:49 PM

Sorry, I was speaking more of the turn action, they're all going to call 1 more on the flop of course, but when that blank comes on the turn, most if not all of them are ghost without better than a pair.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You're risking a probable two big bets to earn a probable one bet, as one or the other will probably not pay off the raise.

Bird in the hand, all of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the checkraise is successful, it's more than 1 bet. It's usually 3, sometimes 4.

-Diplomat
Old 10-22-2004, 09:57 AM

Default Huh, you joking?

[ QUOTE ]
Check raising the flop is going to kill your action. You may as well turn over your cards and see if they still want to play with you. I think the better course of action is to play it straight all the way through, looking for overcalls from hopeless hands and using your psychoflexitive powers to will one of the limpers behind you into trap raising the field on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is just ridiciolus (spelling?)
So if I tell everyone I have a straight when I c/r here I can c/r here everytime I miss, and expect everyone to fold unless they have odds to outdraw my straight??

Edit: didnt see your correction. Ignore this īmessage if you have changed your mind
Old 10-22-2004, 12:43 PM

I love it. The button is going to bet a heckofa lot of the time and you'll be trapping multiple people for 2 bets.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:54 PM

Pretty bad. The problem is that there's no particular reason to think the button will bet. If he'd shown strength on an earlier round, than you might be able to put him on a hand that will bet this river. As it is though, the big blind might be looking to check-raise with 2 pair, while the button may be looking for a cheap showdown. Lots of missed big bets.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 10-22-2004, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If the checkraise is successful, it's more than 1 bet. It's usually 3, sometimes 4.

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't correct. If you just bet, you get 2 anyways most times. The check-raise is risking those 2 that you would have picked up by betting, in an attempt to win an extra one or two.

Good luck.
Eric