Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 10-09-2004, 11:49 PM

Default JJ against a steal

No good read on button.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (6.20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (8.20 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 10.20 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10.20 BB, between Button and Hero.</font>
Old 10-10-2004, 01:49 AM

Default Re: JJ against a steal

Smells like A-weak kicker, but still I think your line is fairly standard. I'm tempted to check the river to induce a bluff from a lower PP or an 8x, I don't know if there's value in the river bet as I can't see A-weak kicker folding ir QQ, KK but I can see 8x,6x,4x folding.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:46 AM

I didnt like your agression post-flop. I thought it was pretty obvious he has an ace and has you beat ... most likley Ace,King. (thats what i would have put him on)
Old 10-10-2004, 05:38 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure if I like my aggression post flop either. But I also would hate myself if I gave up so easily in a situation where the button could easily think I'm trying to resteal. This is a fairly common situation, what is standard here?

Check-call the river?
Old 10-10-2004, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didnt like your agression post-flop. I thought it was pretty obvious he has an ace and has you beat ... most likley Ace,King. (thats what i would have put him on)

[/ QUOTE ]

of course he does not have AK but I dont think I like the re-raise on the flop and then bet every street.
But its got damn hard to play those JJ. I do think there is a okey chance u won this hand anyway.

I am clueless how I would play that hand... damn.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:55 PM

I don't understand why it's good to 3-bet the flop. You're giving an A more money and giving a worse hand reason to fold. You also set yourself up for a turn raise.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm not sure if I like my aggression post flop either. But I also would hate myself if I gave up so easily in a situation where the button could easily think I'm trying to resteal. This is a fairly common situation, what is standard here?

Check-call the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've played it this way up to this point then betting the river is a must. The reason is that your opponent will call with more hands than he would bet with.

My standard play would be to call down once he raises the flop with the intention of betting the river if he checks the turn behind. 3-betting would be more important if the board were draw heavy, but you're pretty much in a way ahead / way behind situation here, and even if he takes a free card it's not terribly likely to hurt you. Anyone suggesting a fold against an unknown hasn't played in this game enough.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:09 PM

I would play it the same way and i wouldnt like it either but i dunno what else you can do? Maybe call his flop raise and then bet out on the turn, folding to a raise. If you bet the turn and he just calls you may have a slightly better chance of him checking behind on the river with Ax.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why it's good to 3-bet the flop. You're giving an A more money and giving a worse hand reason to fold. You also set yourself up for a turn raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I don't like the 3-bet. At the time, I was thinking, "don't try to steal, this is my pot!"

I like calling the flop, betting the turn and folding to a raise. But that would also be giving a worse hand reason to fold. Check calling all the way feels dirty too....