Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Did that go w/o saying? sorry

What do you do if you raise the SB and UTG stays in the hand? At the 15/30 I've seen people call 2 cold with overcards.

So if UTG call, do you go into check mode to see how UTG reacts if the turn doesn't help.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So if UTG call, do you go into check mode to see how UTG reacts if the turn doesn't help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely not. If you are convinced that UTG has overcards and the turn likely misses him, you must bet if checked to. If he has 88, 99, or TT (unlikely without a PFR), good for him.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:12 PM

I wasn't saying you were convinced they have overcards. They could have something A6s and called two cold on the flop with the intention of betting/raising the turn.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:13 PM

Default Re: J7s in the blinds 15-30

[ QUOTE ]

Either way I raise the flop since you need to knock UTG off of overcards if your hand is best. If sb just calls, and checks the turn another bet may knock him off a stronger hand (i.e. A7).

[/ QUOTE ]

He'd a be a horrible player if he folds A7 in this pot.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:15 PM

What is the worst card in the deck on the turn
a. If UTG cold-call and sb calls?
b. UTG folds and sb calls?

I would say a T if just sb calls. But I am not really sure whats the worst card if UTG calls... What would you do against both opponents if that worst card you could imagine hits the turn?
Old 10-07-2004, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They could have something A6s and called two cold on the flop with the intention of betting/raising the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get checkraised on the turn, you fold. Simple as that.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A river value bet is pretty damn clear in this situation. If your opponent had you beat, he would have shown some aggression somewhere, not gone into "call down mode" The only hand he could hold that might play this way would be Q7. A7 and K7 find a raise somewhere as does a 6 or any overpair. You will be called by any 7 any pocket pair and often times A-high. The strongest hand that I think my opponent is likely to fold here is somewhere around K-high. Any better hands than that will call you more often than not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really agree with most of this. You were the big blind this hand. You are the player in the hand who is most likely to randomly have a 6. There are certainly many players online that will go into check and call mode with hands that beat yours. I also don't think you should assume A high will call you down all that much.
What if I told you the sb was a very strong player. Do people still play this hand the same way?
Old 10-07-2004, 06:02 PM

i know you know that stuff, i'm posting more to observe that maybe the whole "should i even bother in a pot this small?" mentality reeks, at least for me, of gunshyness.

Remember that the pot is small for your opponent too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2004, 06:57 PM

I was assuming a typical party 15 idiot. I think a fair amount of those types will lead out with absolutely nothing in a 3-handed pot on a ragged board hoping to pick up the pot. If it was a strong player, I'd certainly consider folding more of an option, BUT I kind of doubt he'd lead out with a 6 in this situation, and if he 88 or better, I think a preflop raise would be likely. I still think you figure to have the best hand here. Whether he pays you off all the way with a pocket pair or a worse 7 depends on how he views your play.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:42 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

most people see unraised 3way pots (sb + bb + limper) as a good stealing opportunity