Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2004, 12:13 PM

Default Re: I flop 2 pair but hate my hand

Since the SB 3-bet, your two pair is somewhat mediocre. You probably can't do anything to protect your hand unless you're behind, for example, if you raise the flop and the SB 3-bets, you might knock out a gutshot draw, but you're probably drawing pretty thin yourself. Tough situation.

I think the best play is to flat call. Now if the SB fires again on a turn blank, it doesn't look good, just call it down. If it's two bets to you on the turn, fold.

If instead the SB checks a blank and someone on your right bets, you should raise. Knock out those gutshots and protect what is (now) likely the best hand in a big pot.

If a blank is checked to you, bet.

If a queen or ten hits, you almost certainly drawing. Proceed accordingly.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 10-01-2004, 03:15 PM

Bottom 2 pair, but give me a break folding is horrible poker. hands you beat. AQs, QQ,TT, 99,88.. etc.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since the SB 3-bet, your two pair is somewhat mediocre. You probably can't do anything to protect your hand unless you're behind, for example, if you raise the flop and the SB 3-bets, you might knock out a gutshot draw, but you're probably drawing pretty thin yourself. Tough situation.

I think the best play is to flat call. Now if the SB fires again on a turn blank, it doesn't look good, just call it down. If it's two bets to you on the turn, fold.

If instead the SB checks a blank and someone on your right bets, you should raise. Knock out those gutshots and protect what is (now) likely the best hand in a big pot.

If a blank is checked to you, bet.

If a queen or ten hits, you almost certainly drawing. Proceed accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds about right.

i don't think a flop raise accomplishes much
(1) there are no players behind you to knock out
(2) a worse hand probably won't play back at you
(3) the info you get is tainted because the board is drawy heavy

so just call on the flop, see what card/action the turn brings
Old 10-01-2004, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You do get to draw cheaply to your backdoor str8!

[/ QUOTE ]

The straight is worth exactly nothing here, because if it comes, then the nut straight is on the board and it's a split.

I like what elysium said, but with capitalization.

--dan
Old 10-01-2004, 09:12 PM

Yeah, I was just joking around. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2004, 02:25 AM

hi dander

i do capitalize, but only at the table.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:16 AM

AQs, QQ,TT, 99,88.. etc.

You are giving this player FAR too wide a range of hands given the description and the action.

Most of the time he has: AA KK AK AQs JJ. QQ and TT are possible, but I think its unlikely that a solid player leads into 3 opponents with either of these hands.

This situation is far from cut and dry. If he is behind (which is fairly likely here) He's drawing to 0-2 outs and probably has to commit to see a showdown absent an A or a 4-liner hitting the board.

I honestly don't know what the right answer is here as it would depend heavily on the opponent and the way in which he 3-bet and bet the flop.

You are going to be subject to making a mistake here no matter what you do, but folding is not drastically worse than any other course of action.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:08 AM

Default correction

hi barry

i need to add some clarification here. i actually misread or lost focus on the exact situation you layed out in your post, and i should have gone back over it which i didn't. the reason for the raise is that you want to represent the nuts. you don't want to encourage a representation round of raising by the third nut hand, should that situation arise on the turn. so it's a suppression raise, similar to raising for a free-showdown.

i misread it as something that allowed a second or third nut hand an opportunity to represent the nut hand on the flop, but that's not possible. sorry for the confusion. what's important is that it is the same idea even with AKJ flopping. you need to get the possible nut hand to check to you, and you want the MP out, period. the problem of course, isn't the strength of the MP's hand. if he can manage some kind of lower straight with his two cards, against all reason, you want him out not because of his possible holding, but rather because of his liklihood of ruining your play. not only might he betout on the turn when the EP checks, he might inspire the EP not to check, but rather betout and trap. that is what you don't want. so you must raise or reraise, whatever it was, and show nut strength. if the nut hand is out (or a better hand) that would be too bad, but you are too strong to give up at almost any point in the hand barring a very ugly turn and river. you must do whatever you must to win this hand.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:48 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

there's no way you're releasing this hand in a reasonably big pot for one bet on this flop. I'd just call, planning to put 1 bet in on every street. for more than one bet, I'd consider dropping the hand.

given the fact there were 2 limpers before your raise, I'd think his range of raising hands would increase in order to get some dead money in the pot. Am I giving him too much credit?
Old 10-03-2004, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hi barry

this is a tough one barry, but you should raise, hoping to improve if reraised. unfortunate problems can crop up if the MP comes to life, and this is a situation that can become costly when that happens. and this is the whole reason for the raise.

you need to represent the straight to keep the MP lower straight from raising of the expensive round. you are also looking to fold that MP out of course, because if the EP doesn't come over the top, you want heads up action on the turn.

that is what is so important. you must reraise to driveout that MP.

on the turn, mo matter what card hits, you want to be checked to by the EP. so you reraise to driveout the MP, and to get checked to on the turn by the EP; much like raising for a free-showdown. i guess you could call it some type of variation of a free-showdown raise or something. and here's where your 2+2 schooling comes in because then, if you can manipulate the EP into checking to you on the turn, you check the turn down, provided of course that your heads up.

this technique gives you a much better idea about where you are in the hand, and also gets out a nuisancesome MP turn raiser who decideds to do a little representation betting of his own.

you need to reraise that flop barry.

[/ QUOTE ]

A well respected poster talks about flop-reraises. Unless I missed something really bad I get scared when I hear this. It is just a single raise, not a re-raise?
Or what did I miss?