Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: 20 dollar or 30 dollar stt?

[ QUOTE ]
I understand what your saying i guess you want bad hands and i know what your saying about the bankroll(how much do you guys suggest for 20s or 30s for example?) just had a riduclous amount of badbeats lately, but then it happens i guess just gotta play through it.

[/ QUOTE ]

20-30x buy ins seems to be standard.

Swings happen. You can't win them all. If you keep losing over an extended period you might want to go back to the 11s.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:10 PM

Well then, after reading this thread over again, I have another question for you.

Are they bad beats or are your decent hands getting outdrawn?
Old 05-27-2005, 05:14 PM

bout 50/50 i guess why do you ask?
Old 05-27-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bout 50/50 i guess why do you ask?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if it's 50/50 you're just on a downswing and moving up will only screw you more.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:25 PM

just gonna try play through it changing to empire tonight to get rake back and hopefully fresh luck, but it will take a very bad swing to keep me down lol. Cheers for everybodys advice. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2005, 06:55 PM

I've just started something to help me feel better about bad runs, although it might actually infuriate some people to try it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I make a manual record of each tourney -- time, place, etc., and I've started to put a little asterisk beside the ones I got sucked out on, along with what I had, as in, *AK. I also note when I had a good hand that ran into a monster, which I note with an "at" sign, as in, @JJ.

When I see myself getting more out of the money than I feel I should, it's reassuring to see, say, that out of eight games, I got sucked out on four times while holding damn good cards, and twice had good cards that ran into unexpected monsters. That keeps me from imagining my play as any worse than it really is, and reminds me that, if given the chance, I'd be more than happy to play AA or KK just as hard next time as the three times in the last two hours I got thrown out on my ass for daring to not fold it preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I feel much worse when I have to wonder how much to blame I really am for my results, instead of actually knowing. It's helped me feel better about having so many second places lately to see my records of getting sucked out on them so many times. Knowing when NOT to take the blame can be as helpful and valuable for me as knowing when to take it.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the thing is i can beat 20s just on a bad swing, but would like to play on tables a bit more predictable, i rather play with better players, rather than rag hands having the chance to beat you so often.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is one of the stupidest things I have heard but I hear a lot of people saying it. I don't think you understand that you make money off those bad calls. Without players making mistakes such as calling with inferior hands you cannot win. The theory that you want to play against better players because they are more predictable is wrong becasue better players also make less mistakes which means less chances for you to make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

shhh, don't let the "secret" out [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]