Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 04:28 AM

Default I wear a skirt when it comes to the Blinds. Please help me.

After 15000 hands of $0.25/$0.50 I need assistance.

Rather than post a PokerTracker screenshot, I did a little bit of self-analysis and I've identified what I'm sure is a huge leak in my game right now - stealing and defending blinds.

These are some of my figures (15195 hands, $0.25/$0.50, all at PokerStars):

Folded SB to steal: 93.33%
Folded BB to steal: 80.33%
Attempted to steal blinds: 11.01%

(Hey, I told you it was bad ... lol)

VPIP: 16.41%
Went to SD: 31.91%
Won $ at SD: 54.08%
PR Raise: 6.19%

Any advice about taking this skirt off? I'm sure it's costing me money.

Many thanks.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:33 AM

Default Re: I wear a skirt when it comes to the Blinds. Please help me.

Your VPIP and PFR are way way way way way way way way way

way

too low for .25/.5. You should be at 20 VPIP and 8-9 for PFR.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:35 AM

Yeah, I'll agree with that...if your good postflop you can probably losen up to 21/13 or so, being a LAG is fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: You can also stay at like 19% vpip and raise your PFR to like 10-11, it will make a giant difference in your game.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:06 AM

From my perspective, play in the blinds at lower micro limits isn't really that important if your tables are full ring. There's much better things to be worrying about in my opinion. Generally speaking, most people aren't thinking about stealing your blinds either. If they do raise when it's folded to them in the CO or the button, chances are that's just a coincidence and they do actually have a raise-worthy hand.

As you move up in limits and move to short handed play, blind play becomes extremely important because you are a blind so often. I wouldn't worry about it too much for now, though.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:28 AM

I'm 21/12 and I can't see how you could play poker doing anything tighter... so boring [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2005, 06:41 AM

sometimes it's better being bored than pissed and losing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], not everyone has the postflop game to play the extra hands
Old 05-01-2005, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From my perspective, play in the blinds at lower micro limits isn't really that important if your tables are full ring. There's much better things to be worrying about in my opinion. Generally speaking, most people aren't thinking about stealing your blinds either. If they do raise when it's folded to them in the CO or the button, chances are that's just a coincidence and they do actually have a raise-worthy hand.

As you move up in limits and move to short handed play, blind play becomes extremely important because you are a blind so often. I wouldn't worry about it too much for now, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second his post and add a little something...

Your attempts to steal the blinds don't exactly add up to a large number, but when playing at these limits, think how many times it has actually been folded to you in one of the last 3 positions. I'm not sure how PT classifies and calculates Blind Steal attempts but it isn't necessarily indicative of anything when your percentage is that low.

And the same goes for steal defenses as well. Only 15k hands in, perhaps you just haven't got the defense worthy hands from the blinds? My question would be how often you see the flop from the blinds? A VP$IP from the SB would be a much better indicator of your flop play from that spot than is folding to steal attempts.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not everyone has the postflop game to play the extra hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like the answer is therefore to get better postflop and win more money.

About the PT blind stealing stats: I believe it only counts them if it is a "steal situation" which off the top of my head I'm not sure what qualifies. The numbers pretty well represent reality though, the OP is too tight in the blinds and doesn't steal. The problem is the same as the reason the VPIP and PFR (especially PFR) are low, unwillingness to play marginally profitable situations.

To OP: be more willing to play and raise the more marginal preflop hands, and the blind defense numbers will follow. Its not much of a stretch to go from raising (for example) QTs on the button after a couple limpers to open raising that same hand to steal the blinds. Then it becomes Q9s, then Q8s, suddenly you are a maniac, its fun.

-DeathDonkey
Old 05-01-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Very much appreciated.

Best Wishes
Old 05-01-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
not everyone has the postflop game to play the extra hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like the answer is therefore to get better postflop and win more money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to get better without playing. Hard to play without money. Hard to have money when you keep losing it on hands you aren't comfortable playing.

It's better to play within your own limitations and do it well than to try and branch out into unkown territory and struggle.

As your game evolves postflop, without playing those hands, then you can start to add those hands and play them profitably.