Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 12:02 PM

Default A set against a LAG

I had played shorthanded with my opponent here and knew he was very LAG. The table filled up quickly and this was only about the third hand with a full table.

Of course I caught hell about "catching" here, but I am curious about others thoughts as to how loose this was.

Thanks for the comments.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

MP1 ($7.05)
MP2 ($30.95)
MP3 ($22.50)
CO ($26.55)
Hero ($48)
SB ($24.50)
BB ($24)
UTG ($8.50)
UTG+1 ($24.50)
UTG+2 ($32.63)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $2, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $1.50, UTG+1 calls $1.50, MP1 calls $1.50, MP2 folds.

Flop: ($11.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets $0.5</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $5</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $24.55 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $9.55.

Turn: ($60.85) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($60.85) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $60.85

Results in white below: <font color="white">
CO shows 7s As (one pair, aces).
Hero shows 3c 3d (three of a kind, threes).
Outcome: Hero wins $60.85. </font>
Old 08-09-2004, 12:30 PM

Default Re: A set against a LAG

I call here 100% of the time. Small pairs play very well in NL holdem when you can see a flop for a relatively cheap price. Flop a set and you're golden to either double up or bust somebody when the money isn't very deep.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:50 PM

The preflop call is pretty debateable. The LAG raiser has a pretty small stack, cutting down on your implied odds pretty good. Even if you take his whole stack when you flop the set, you're getting implied odds of 13:1. The good news is, you have position on the raiser. Also, there are several other limpers before the raise who will most likely cold call. They are giving you half of the pot odds needed to call. The chances of taking the short stack are pretty good also because he is a LAG. It's a borderline call, but I think either a call or fold here is fine. The LAG made the bigger mistake of not raising more, especially with so many limpers to him.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:41 PM

i think it's an easy call your on the button he only raises to $2. and you have limpers still deciding to call the hand, great odds for you to catch your set which you did. he should have bet bigger pre-flop. i like the play, would have done the same.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The LAG made the bigger mistake of not raising more, especially with so many limpers to him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not raising more? Exactly how much is one supposed to raise A7s!? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2004, 06:59 PM

Oops, never actually looked at the results. I just assumed with the ensuing action that the villain has AK or AQ. You know... something actually reasonable. Then again, this is Party. I should be able to understand a raise like this by now.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:26 PM

Thinking this hand played out as it should have played out. No way should CO have bet more than what he bet pre-flop. He might have been more effective with a min-raise but I doubt it. Doubt there was any way he could have bet bigger holding only A7 to scare you away from calling with 33. You flopped your set......end of story really.