Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 01:58 AM

Default bad runs

i play 3 tables at a time 20$ on party poker and i make the usual profit and am rated as a pro on poker prohecy which is nothing major but lets u know i can play anyways the question is whats the worst run any of u guys have had and did it pick up. Im sure mine will just put me in a bad mood. any story etc bout this subject?
Old 05-25-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: bad runs

i just had a 25 buy in downswing, its down to 11 now.
hope i can get back to positive soon
Old 05-25-2005, 02:04 AM

I'm on a 30 buyin downswing right now.

People around here have said it's to be expected if you're playing full time, about once a month. So I call it PMS - the Putrid Monthly Swing. Just like when your girl gets it...super shitty, but you deal with it.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:09 AM

If you are a winning player it will always 'pick up.'

Based on your post I think there is a significant chance you aren't one.

However, that really isn't the point...

Winning players have had horrific downswings of several dozens of buyins. Yours almost surely pales in comparison.

Try the search function as well....there will be vastly superior 'bad run' threads found that way (this one will undoubtedly suck).

Yugoslav
Old 05-25-2005, 02:14 AM

can this forum stop from being a wahhh i have the worst luck ever and instead be a means of improvement.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can this forum stop from being a wahhh i have the worst luck ever and instead be a means of improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you could somehow plug every STT 2+2 user into Eastbay's 'luck machine' or whatever I'm pretty sure you'd find an *incredible* amount of positive variance...

Also, while there are no books on STT skills....I'd say the bigger gap is now in no material on generaly poker psychology and mental preparation. I am very, very new to poker in the scheme of things and find more and more that the psychological aspect and metal fortitude to withstand the viccitudes of this game is *more* important than the skills...

Yugoslav
Old 05-25-2005, 02:38 AM

oh yer now there are down swing s just wanted some re assurance, i play bout 40 hours a week anyway but only been playing online this much for bout week, im coming back a bit now so should be ok. Gotta realise its long term results that count not short term. what level tables do u guys play and how many times the table entry fees would u suggest your bankroll should be?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i play 3 tables at a time 20$ on party poker and i make the usual profit and am rated as a pro on poker prohecy which is nothing major but lets u know i can play anyways the question is whats the worst run any of u guys have had and did it pick up. Im sure mine will just put me in a bad mood. any story etc bout this subject?

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the forum. I suggest you start here.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:41 AM

The funny thing is, so much is perspective. People great at math say the math is easy no matter what game you're playing; the people who are great readers say reading people is really easy; the people who don't find it hard to play lots of tables at once say multi-tabling is easy; the people who don't tilt easily say the psychology is easy; the people who find money management self-evident don't have any problem with that; the people who don't find poker "immoral" think questions about societal or ethical things aren't really issues at all in poker; etc.