Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Re: 8-8 hand - I suck at tournaments

my original response to the post was due to the fact that he got a good read on overcards. my reasoning to reraise all-in on the flop was because i wouldn't want to have to go to a coinflip. the villain still had another 2800 or so after his preflop raise. so if u pushed him all-in on the flop since u were out of position. he would have to commit all of his stack on a gut shot or hope that his overcards catching could still beat out whatever cards u had. i could have easily folded KQ when they didnt' hit and the chip leader pushes my all-in.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:24 AM

lil',

I've seen you play limit and you are nasty.

But this play screams of a lack of planning.

First of all, you have a read on this player. If he's capable of folding to an all-in bet, then you are almost always better off putting an opponent to the test on the bubble.

88 is generally a crappy hand to call and see a flop with a "wait and see" approach, because there are so many flops that stink. Your opponent in this hand played the hand well, but you let him do that. If you planned to get all your chips in the middle on this flop--then you ought to bet it because your opponent has a shallow stack and will not be able to fold if he bets. You want this pot now. Even if you are ahead, how far ahead can you be?

No-limit puts a premium on a plan. Often in limit, you can get away with a wait and see approach, in no-limit you need to work things out ahead of time. I would've put my opponent all-in here preflop, especially if he was capable of folding. On the flop, chances are he isnt folding regardless of the action.

-Jason
Old 10-27-2004, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the reply.

If I pushed all-in pre-flop, I was very sure I would have been called. As I said before, I was playing aggressively. It sounds like it is OK to get into a coinflip situation here? Against a smaller stack I would have just done it, but I knew if I lost I would lose over 3/5 of my stack.

Of course, there is always the chance he will fold pre-flop, I guess, making the pre-flop all-in bet better.