Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 02:53 PM

Default KK in Early Position, 2-Table SNG. Am I too tight?

5th hand of $5 UB 2-Table SnG. I do not have any reads, but these $5 tables are very LAG. I just doubled up 2nd hand and am chip leader. I figured I was up against trips and a draw or two draws, and didn't want to risk my stack. Was I too tight here? Apologies for the format. I couldn't get it to convert.

Hand #7361741-6 at SnG-MT301a-1 (No Limit tournament Hold'em)
Powered by UltimateBet
Started at 28/Jul/05 14:11:33

00pokerface00 is at seat 0 with 1460.
sixkiler is at seat 1 with 1660.
frankypoker is at seat 3 with 1550.
HERO is at seat 4 with 3010.
pageandplant is at seat 5 with 1480.
ST3V3 is at seat 6 with 1400.
kcm-bam is at seat 7 with 1450.
412nick is at seat 8 with 1520.
BRLad2 is at seat 9 with 1470.
The button is at seat 9.

00pokerface00 posts the small blind of 10.
sixkiler posts the big blind of 20.

00pokerface00: -- --
sixkiler: -- --
frankypoker: -- --
HERO: Ks Kh
pageandplant: -- --
ST3V3: -- --
kcm-bam: -- --
412nick: -- --
BRLad2: -- --

Pre-flop:

frankypoker folds. HERO raises to 80.
pageandplant folds. ST3V3 calls. kcm-bam folds.
412nick folds. BRLad2 calls. 00pokerface00 folds.
sixkiler folds.

Flop (board: 6c Tc 9h):

HERO bets 270. ST3V3 goes all-in for 1320.
BRLad2 calls. HERO folds.

Tournament all-in showdown -- players show:

ST3V3 shows Ah 9c.
BRLad2 shows 5c Ac.

Turn (board: 6c Tc 9h Qh):

(no action in this round)

River (board: 6c Tc 9h Qh 5h):

(no action in this round)

Showdown:

ST3V3 has Ah 9c Tc 9h Qh: a pair of nines.
BRLad2 has 5c Ac Tc Qh 5h: a pair of fives.

Hand #7361741-6 Summary:

No rake is taken for this hand.
ST3V3 wins 3180 with a pair of nines.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: KK in Early Position, 2-Table SNG. Am I too tight?

dont post the results if you want good feedback

theres no way i fold KK as an overpair in a $5 SNG, these players arent playing sets this fast, and especially as this doesnt cripple you, its worth taking a chance against a draw or two
Old 07-28-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was I too tight here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. You want you're money in when your opponents are on a draw and you are a favorite.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:24 PM

Yes, too tight.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:09 PM

Don't post results. Yeah, too tight. I would never fold KK to this draw heavy board.

yabastid
Old 07-28-2005, 06:04 PM

I push trips on this board, why not? You're only behind 78, and all the other draws could catch up fast. Also you are possibly going to get called by nut flush and straight draws. I think discarding the possibility of a set here is a huge mistake.

That being said I still call with KK, but am not too surprised if i DO see a whole pile 'o nines.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:14 PM

i agree with runout that i would push trips here..

but given the competition at a $5 sng it's an easy call. people are going to show you TPxK, any pocket pair, flush and straight draws. Chances are that you are ahead and given it wont break your stack, it's an insta call in my book. I'm honestly surprised these guys showed you as good of hands as they had.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:32 AM

Thanks for good replies to my first post. Since I am still learning tourney strategy, I would like some commentary on my thoughts about the hand.

1. Easy call against one all-in, but the second all-in gave me pause.

2. Low limit = novice/bad players. Harrington points out that a sign of beginners is that as soon as they get a hand, they push without regard to extracting value (“Trips! I’m all in!”). In my (limited) experience at these stakes, I often have called such big bets with my overpair on a broken board only to run into someone’s freak two pair.

3. Assuming neither player has me beat on the flop, and I am against a straight and a flush draw. That’s 15 cards I may have to dodge. Yes, I know I am getting proper odds but….

4. I am the chip leader with a commanding lead. Fold = 100% chance I still have big lead. Assuming these guys are donks (probably operative), I can take their money away later without as much variance to my stack.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:55 AM

You could have considered putting a larger raise in pf to isolate one idiot player if you really wanted to play so weak after the flop. I would prob be pushing in this situation wth KK at a $5 table, but the 2nd players all makes me weary. These players are usually really aggressive to pots they think they have a good read or a good chance on, bluff happy and especially semi bluff happy. Surely one is a a draw and made a terribly bet, did someone else trip up? Its a possibility, but doubtful here because they would prob wait for someone elses aggression. You may loose to the draw here, and there may be trips out, your only 80 chips into the hand and one of these morons is already going home, pull out here and let them take each other out, learn from your mistake of not properly isolating a player, and letting yourself get intimidated by these wackys that you will run into all day long at the $5 level. Remember, tourney life is about preservation!
Old 07-29-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You could have considered putting a larger raise in pf to isolate one idiot player if you really wanted to play so weak after the flop. I would prob be pushing in this situation wth KK at a $5 table, but the 2nd players all makes me weary. These players are usually really aggressive to pots they think they have a good read or a good chance on, bluff happy and especially semi bluff happy. Surely one is a a draw and made a terribly bet, did someone else trip up? Its a possibility, but doubtful here because they would prob wait for someone elses aggression. You may loose to the draw here, and there may be trips out, your only 80 chips into the hand and one of these morons is already going home, pull out here and let them take each other out, learn from your mistake of not properly isolating a player, and letting yourself get intimidated by these wackys that you will run into all day long at the $5 level. Remember, tourney life is about preservation!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the comments. So a 4xBB raise preflop followed by a pot sized bet on the flop is not aggressive enough to isolate at this level? What would you recommend?