Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2005, 01:51 AM

Default Rockford Charitable Games questions/rant LONG

Just got back from the 7-26 event in Arlington Hts, and I know there are a few posters here who play these events, so I've got a few questions and a rant...
Questions
1. Is there any sort of order? It seems like each dealer has his/her own set of rules. I played 1-3 and 2-5 tonight and some dealers made new players post when they sat down, some didnt. Some took your blinds when you went on a break, some dealt you out.
2. Is there a floor person? I know the guy up front is in charge of the wait lists, but is that it? We had a dealer tonite deal the river early, realized there was still action from the turn, and announced "Sorry guys, Jack of hearts will be your river." I wasn't in the hand, but I felt compelled to speak up, and say "Leave the burn and shuffle the river back into the deck." I was told that isn't the way to do thing. I know the dealers there are volunteers, but still
3. Tips for the dealers. I haven't been able to determine if they keep them or not. It seems like some dealers take the rake, wait till they have $5 in rake and drop a red. If its a tip, they drop the whites, and thats how they tell the diff. between rake and tip. But some dealers leave the tips with the rake and color that to reds before dropping it, making it impossible to tell whats rake and whats tips.

Now for my rant
With there being no true floorperson to go to, it seems like this is basically a free-for-all. When I sat down tonite there were two players across from the table who were obviously friends, talking to each other, and one asked the other how long they were going to stay, etc. I had noticed a few times when they were in pots together they would bet everyone out then check it down. The final time came on a board of 10,7,3 rainbow. Friend one bets, friend two raises, 2 other players fold. Turn is a Jack, check, check. River was a blank, check, check. Friend one turns over QQ, friend two AA. One player, oblivious to the collusion, told the player with aces he should bet those. I asked the player 2 to my left, so everyone could hear it "Have they been doing this all night...betting everyone out and checking it down?" Even the dealer didn't understand what I was getting at. Thankfully they left shortly after.

Another complaint I have is the dealers not taking control of the game. The player to my left (for the stories sake, we'll call him Ted) was basically trying to run the game, telling people when it was thier blinds, announcing winning hands, basically annoying the hell out me. One dealer forgot to deal a card to seat 10, dealt to seat 1, realized her mistake and quickly grabbed the card (before seat 1 saw it) and slid it to seat 10. "Ted" starts gathering the cards from the players and tells the dealer its a misdeal. Dealer doesn't say a word. Final straw came with Ted on this hand. "Player B" had rivered two flushes against Ted in one orbit, and so he was a little on tilt. Final board was Ac Qc Jc and two small, non paired non clubs. I held QQ. I bet, Ted raised, player B calls I call. Player shows AJ for 2 pair, I show my set. Ted stands up, lifts his cards over his head, looks at player B and says "Didn't draw out on me this time. Royal F-ing Flush" and slams the K,10 of clubs down on top of the community cards. The board cards scatter, and his 10 of clubs flips face down in the muck. I nor the dealer saw the 10 of clubs. Dealer starts to push the pot towards Ted. I say "Hang on, thats a dead hand. Half his hand was never shown and he threw his cards into the muck when the touched the board. Dealer says "Did anyone see his cards?" Two players say they saw the 10 of clubs. I insist it's a dead hand (normally I wouldn't do this if his hand could be verified, but I was at the point where I wanted to slap the taste out of Ted's mouth). Dealer starts turning over cards from the muck, and the 3rd one is the 10 of clubs. He has "There, you happy?" I said "Absolutly not" And I racked up and left.

Edited for spelling