Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: My typical day

[ QUOTE ]
I will forever regret my decision. You will too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, not only are you so omnicient as to know what is best for this (and every other) woman's child, now you can perfectly predict the emotional state of 2+2 posters far into the future. You sound more than a little arrogant, self-important, and intolerant in this thread, even to someone who agrees with much of what you are saying. I personally tend to agree with your premise that 40 hours of day care is, for most toddlers, not likely to be as beneficial long-term as being home with Mom and/or Dad most of the time with some daycare a small fraction of the week (say 2 or 3 days per week or a few hours per day).

However, the black-and-white opinions essentially stating daycare = Selfish Evil parenting, Mom at home = Good smacks of being a judgemental holier-than-thou know-it-all. None of the posters on this board know what's best for every family, do you think you might want to tone down the judgmental attitude that only a Beaver Cleaver model of family life is correct and tone up the tolerance and understanding a notch?
Old 11-17-2005, 04:03 PM

"tone down the judgmental attitude that only a Beaver Cleaver model of family life is correct and tone up the tolerance and understanding a notch? "

That model is not 'correct' but superior in most every situation where it is possible.

I don't tolerate the touchy-feely, can't we all understand garbage. 90% of what a current student learns WRT family and society is junk. Not just wrong, but hurtful.

Some day when I type faster i'll be more supportive of my positions. As it is I'm hitting the high points only.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That model is not 'correct' but superior in most every situation where it is possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, that explains it. You weren't saying your way of raising kids is more "correct", just "superior". Guess I need to retract my statement that you're being arrogant and intolerant.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't tolerate the touchy-feely, can't we all understand garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently "touchy-feely garbage" encompasses other people's life perspectives, feelings, opinions, or points of view. One of your posts implied that you are a religious person- last time I checked tolerance is a fairly standard Judeo-Christian value. Might even be good for your kids to see you excercise that skill, too.

[ QUOTE ]

90% of what a current student learns WRT family and society is junk. Not just wrong, but hurtful.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's extend your logic a bit. Since 90% of what kids learn in schools or daycare about family/society is "wrong" and "hurtful" to them, then if you choose to put your kids in any school instead of home schooling them, does that make you a selfish, unloving parent too?

"90%"? Was that number up your arse long before you pulled it out?

That is of course, preposterous. Most, not all, MOST, teachers and day care providers are caring individuals who chose as their life's work to try to support, teach, and instill caring tolerant values in the kids they work with. Perhaps you weren't exposed to enough of these types of adults growing up.

[ QUOTE ]

Some day when I type faster i'll be more supportive of my positions. As it is I'm hitting the high points only.

[/ QUOTE ]
Some day when you can read, hear, and absorb ideas and opinions other than your own, rather than repeatedly spew forth concrete pre-formed spite-filled absolute "truths", maybe I'll take you off my ignore list.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:02 PM

I've tweaked a full-blooded Lib. My day is complete.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yet another eloquent dissertation worthy of a Bill O'Reilly. Of course I just have to be a bleeding heart liberal to support pre-school or to find posts and attitudes like yours ignorant. But it is possible you've made (yet another) bad assumption regarding my politics- I'll be lobbying for McCain in 2008.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yet another eloquent dissertation worthy of a Bill O'Reilly. Of course I just have to be a bleeding heart liberal to support pre-school or to find posts and attitudes like yours ignorant. But it is possible you've made (yet another) bad assumption regarding my politics- I'll be lobbying for McCain in 2008.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, to drag this waaay OT now. How the heck can you support McCain after he caved in to pressure to support Bush? That crap they pulled on McCain in 2000 was absolutely disgusting. Then McCain turns around and kisses Bush butt in 2004? I lost all respect for him when he did that.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How the heck can you support McCain after he caved in to pressure to support Bush? That crap they pulled on McCain in 2000 was absolutely disgusting. Then McCain turns around and kisses Bush butt in 2004? I lost all respect for him when he did that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quite incoherent since it's 3am, but here goes...

I can still back McCain mainly because I think he's a man of integrity who also possesses a brain. IMO his party loyalty / support of Bush in 2004 came from his belief that it was in the country's best interest to do so, and he put aside his personal political interest to serve that. (He also avoids participating in and reacting to negative campaigning better than most, IMO- he came out strongly against the group trying to smear Kerry's Vietnam service record even while casting his support for Bush.) Having said that, it sounds like you & I agree that McCain was misguided in his support for Dubya then. However, he does strike me as a pragmatist who seems unafraid to diverge from blind adherence to the party line or to criticize this administration or his party if he feels it is merited (e.g., his public & active lobbying that Cheney is dead wrong to oppose an anti-torture amendment, his ongoing championing of campaign finance reform, a willingness to go across the aisle and work with Democrats on occasion, etc.).

Like any politician, he's far from perfect, but I believe he acts more out of conscience and a coherent, thoughtful perspective of issues. His actions generally strike me as attempt to actually get something accomplished rather than just acting out of blind party loyalty and/or political expediency. I have been periodically disappointed in his support of W (since IMO W's administration has taken the Republican Party and the country as a whole giant steps backwards), but as of today I see no other prominent politican I'd rather see in the Oval Office than McCain. While virtually every prominent member of the GOP openly critical to Bush's policies has become more or less silent or has been quietly pushed aside (Powell et al), McCain remains vocal and active in moving agenda items he feels important forward, oftentimes in contrast to White House public stances. (Let's not forget his classic Daily Show bit looking under the couch cushions for the elusive WMDs.)

I'm registered as an independent, but I'd be shocked if in 2008 I didn't end up voting McCain both in the Republican primary and final election.