Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Overcards plus one of your cards is dead

Well, this is one of those situations that's fun to argue about b/c it doesn't really matter lol. First, are the aces and queens totally live? What's the ante in this game? If the aces and queens are live and the ante structure is tight, I'm tempted to fold this OOP against two overcards. This is actually an interesting situation in that I'm more tempted to fold than raise if they will call a completion w/ a wide variety of holdings. That's because I will be in a guessing game firing lots of barrels on later streets. If they will only call (or reraise) with certain types of hands (even w/ loose standards, they wouldnt call with 'anything'), I feel a little better about raising bc I will be able to play better later.

That said, I think against two live overcards OOP with one of your jacks dead, I MAY fold. It depends on the factors listed above as well as how my opponents play later. One overcard, I'm going to definitely raise. With two, I'll see what I feel like doing.

Jeff
Old 11-29-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Overcards plus one of your cards is dead

[ QUOTE ]
No, no, no. This is Pacific. They'll call with any three random cards, and everyone with a pair is staying til the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
There coming along to fourth no matter what I do or what they have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its late and I dont feel like typing out the very lengthy response that this would entail. However, I will say that if this is the case, if they play any holding whatsoever, folding a pair of jacks, even with one dead, is obviously wrong. What we should be arguing about here is whether to keep the pot small and limp or raise instead. This depends on several factors and would require that lengthy response I dont feel like typing. But folding against people who are playing three random cards just because there is a dead jack, is leaving money on the table.

Mike Emery