Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 12:57 AM

Default QJo headsup

Unfortunately I couldn't get complete hand history data due to connection problems so I'll try to type this out the best that I can. I also just sat down on this hand and the Villian is a complete unknown, so no reads. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Party 1/2 Full
I'm BB dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Everyone folds to Villian who limps and the rest fold to me. I check.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red"> I bet. Villian raises.</font> I call.
With a gutshot, top pair, and a weak bd flush, I hoped to play this somewhat aggressively, but the Villian raised so I wasn't sure about being WA/WB. Without any reads I'm probably giving him credit for a Qx, flush draw, or even already made straight.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check. <font color="red">Villian bets. I raise.</font> Villian calls.
I hoped to check-raise here hoping to protect my queen high, but with the call I'm starting to possibly think flush but more likely he still has Qx and we're going to see a showdown.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red">I bet. Villian raises.</font> I call.
Now, this river card is something I was hoping I wouldn't have to see, but I still bet it. Should I have folded to his raise, or should I have even bet this river? I still think there's some chance that my medium kicker is good because this unknown limped preflop but I'm definitely beat to a flush. How did I play the other streets?

Edit: By the way, have people been having connection problems on Empire? I have a stable connection but I have trouble keeping it up on only Empire.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:04 AM

Default Re: QJo headsup

Bet/Call, Check/Call, Check/Call. Seems you got little fancy for no reason.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet/Call, Check/Call, Check/Call. Seems you got little fancy for no reason.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-15-2005, 01:08 AM

Hm, take this with a grain of salt. I don't play 1/2, but here goes anyway.

I really don't like the turn raise. You aren't protecting your hand because if you're beat, you're just bloating the pot. Protecting your hand consists of making others make an unprofitable call. If you're behind, this is not going to happen. You might be betting for value here if you're ahead, but I think at this point that's very unlikely. You could be behind KQ, a flopped straight, etc. Plus, the pot is very small.

I personally fold the turn, because a.) the pot is small. b.) we have a hand that can be very likely dominated and c.) the pot is small!

Other thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:14 AM

Would calling-down be better than folding on the turn? I think if I could replay this hand I would probably fold on the turn. I didn't realize how stupid I was when I played this and I definitely wouldn't be check-raising this, especially if I think he's on a flush draw + the pot size being so small. Also, what range of hands should I have put my opponent on with his raise? I definitely think I overvalued my hand in this case.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:22 AM

I'm not quite sure what's the better play, calling down or folding on the turn. I think the better question to ask to get to that answer is how often are we ahead on the turn? At the turn there's 3.25BBs in the pot and when he bets he's laying you 4.25:1 to call. In order to come out of this EV+, your hand will have to either be best about 32% of the time because you will have to call a river bet too (2/6.25=.32 Please correct me if my math is wrong). I'm not experienced enough to say whether that's the case or not.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:28 AM

I raise preflop.

3bet the flop.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:31 AM

I think I call down, waiting for improvement. definitely check/call the river
Old 07-15-2005, 01:32 AM

I definitely think villain will have QT often enough to warrant calling down. I think the way you played it was too fancy. The bet/call, check/call, check/call looks a little weak to me, though. I'm thinking about 3betting the flop, and calling down if capped.

Edit: I was toying with raising preflop, too. What position was villain in? If he was in late position, it's pretty obvious he doesn't have a clue, and you have a pretty solid hand for HU play.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:35 AM

I believe Villian was EP.